This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Apprentice

ss396t6 is on a distinguished road
Default '57 Voltage Regulator question

What was the part number of the original FOMOCO voltage regulator on '56-'57 Thunderbirds?

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The part number shows as B7A-10505-B. However the numbers stamped on the regulator could be 2700015 or 2900424.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Truth is, they matched the current output of the generator with the regulator. If your generator produced 30 amps, then you need a 30 amp regulator. Some guys use a Jeep regulator in a jam because it works.

Regulators simply cycle the field power in your gen, which causes the armature to produce more or less current. Regulators have a 'cutout relay' that disconnects from the battery when the key is off, so your battery doesn't drain over night.

Make sure your GEN light bulb works. It 'jump starts' the armature upon starting. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Apprentice

Thanks all.

I bought a nice original 2900424 off of eBay recently but the applications I have read were for 1958-1962 Thunderbird. There is a blue unmarked after market regulator on my '57 that I want to replace.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Since that part number is specified in the Master Parts Catalog for '57 I would think it would be "concours" correct if that is your concern.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Since that part number is specified in the Master Parts Catalog for '57 I would think it would be "concours" correct if that is your concern.

John
I am also an NCRS member and all I hear is Top Flight and correct this and correct that. I do lean toward correct but concourse is not my goal. Our cars are over 50 years old. I'm over 60 years old and I'm not concourse but I do still have all my original parts. I just wish I looked as good as our cars.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:24 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396t6 View Post
What was the part number of the original FOMOCO voltage regulator on '56-'57 Thunderbirds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The part number shows as B7A-10505-B. However the numbers stamped on the regulator could be 2700015 or 2900424...
Quote:
I am also an NCRS member and all I hear is Top Flight and correct this and correct that. I do lean toward correct but concourse is not my goal...
I'm trying to figure out your point. You asked for correct part numbers, John gave them, now you don't like it. What do you really want? It's simply a 30-amp regulator.

Why don't you drop the old generator and regulator, and fit a good self-regulating alternator in its place? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I'm trying to figure out your point. You asked for correct part numbers, John gave them, now you don't like it. What do you really want? It's simply a 30-amp regulator.

Why don't you drop the old generator and regulator, and fit a good self-regulating alternator in its place? - Dave
Whoa and Merry Christmas to you, too, Dave!
I never said or even implied "I don't like it". I assume jopizz is John and I sincerely appreciate his information. I am a newbie at this and I don't have a Master Parts catalog. I was merely trying to ascertain if the 424 also applied to '57. I now have a 2900424.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
...I am a newbie at this and I don't have a Master Parts catalog. I was merely trying to ascertain if the 424 also applied to '57. I now have a 2900424.
Yes, Jopizz is John. He does have a Master Parts Catalog. He is very helpful and comfy with his and other T-birds.

If John cited a 2900424 is included as an OEM and you already have one, it doesn't get any better than that. Ford used a host of regulator numbers and brands (like Bosch) across car and truck lines. John only cited T-bird. If you add all the cars (Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Edsel), tractors and trucks (we always sold more trucks than cars), you quickly realize that it's impossible for one company to make millions of production and service regulators in one year. Although the part number didn't change, Ford used a vendor number to identify the parts. All the regulators work equally as well within the same part number.

Happy New Year - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Yes, Jopizz is John. He does have a Master Parts Catalog. He is very helpful and comfy with his and other T-birds.

If John cited a 2900424 is included as an OEM and you already have one, it doesn't get any better than that. Ford used a host of regulator numbers and brands (like Bosch) across car and truck lines. John only cited T-bird. If you add all the cars (Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Edsel), tractors and trucks (we always sold more trucks than cars), you quickly realize that it's impossible for one company to make millions of production and service regulators in one year. Although the part number didn't change, Ford used a vendor number to identify the parts. All the regulators work equally as well within the same part number.

Happy New Year - Dave
Thanks and Happy New Year to you, too, Dave.

Although Fords have been in my family over a period of many decades I have personally been a Chevy guy for the last 30 years. I have loved the Thunderbirds particularly the years from 1955-1966, 1957 specifically.

After reading the output information about the 1957 generators and their particulars I noted that the original voltage regulators had the same information. I also learned that 1957 generators are unique to themselves. I was offered a chance to switch over to an alternator but at this time I want to keep things as original as possible.