This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Wixom Assembly Plant ~ 1957-2007

Carl Travis, who worked the Wixom line from the early '70's, into this decade, loaned me his Wixom book that they gave to the employees when they closed down the plant. I will be extracting pictures from it that I think you would enjoy seeing. First is the cover, which says "Home Of The Lincoln". I do not know if there was one that said "Home Of The Thunderbird" or not. That is something I will have to ask him.

I decided that the pictures would be to small to read well, so I have created a web page for them. You will find it here:

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/WixomB...emblyPlant.htm

Enjoy! I am going to bed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WixomBookCover.jpg (91.6 KB, 95 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 04-10-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Sleep well, Ray. When you wake, please accept my Thanks for this... WELL DONE, my friend.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

I concur!

Say...what is that black land yacht?

That is the hottest car I think Ive ever seen!
Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road

Ray, anywhere in that terrific book is there a pic of a 1986 Mark in pink ?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Experienced

chewrocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I concur!

Say...what is that black land yacht?

That is the hottest car I think Ive ever seen!

Its a Lincoln Zephyr. the two door and convertable were real cool. The 4 door lost something in the look department.

1941 http://www.lzoc.org/photos/Images/41contcabriolet.jpg

1940 http://www.lzoc.org/photos/Images/40contcoupe.jpg

1938 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Li...r_06011701.jpg

http://www.lzoc.org/photos/photos.htm

Last edited by chewrocks : 05-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Well I dunno what to say...the link pics look VERY different from that long bad booty in black N chrome -
Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Experienced

chewrocks is on a distinguished road

Oh, youre talking about the 59 Lincoln. Sorry I was thinking about the car on the page above that. I have always liked the looks of the low slung Zephyr

Last edited by chewrocks : 05-30-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:07 AM

Default Wixom Assembly Plant ~ 1957-2007

Hi Sandy,

I looked in the book again, and there was no '86 Mark in pink in it. The book is two thirds pictures of people, their job titles, group events, parties, picnics, stuff like that. In between, there were the pictures I posted and the write ups on the different years of cars. I was hoping for a lot of pictures of the line, but there were hardly any worth trying to put on.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Super-Experienced

SandyBoy is on a distinguished road

Awwww, that is too bad !
Old 12-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Default Update - Wixom Assembly Plant ~ 1957-2007

Here is an update on the Wixom plant, closed in 2007 and from what Dave ~ simplyconnected, tells me, is now a shopping mall. From wikipedia.

The Wixom assembly plant was one of Ford's largest and oldest manufacturing sites. It opened April 15, 1957, and was ultimately expanded to encompass 4.7 million square feet. Over the plant's 50 years of operation it produced 6,648,806 automobiles. The last car produced was a white chocolate Lincoln Town Car which rolled off the line at 12:55pm on May 31, 2007.

During its long history, the plant was mainly used for the manufacture of Lincolns and the Ford Thunderbird. The Lincoln Town Car and the Ford GT were also produced there. Production of the Lincoln LS ended in early April 2006 and production of the Ford GT stopped on September 21, leaving the Town Car as the plant's final product.

Wixom was the most profitable plant in the industry during the 1980s when Cadillac downsized its lineup and lost ground to Lincoln. Due to Lincoln's falling sales, Ford announced on January 23, 2006 that the Wixom plant would be idled in 2007 as part of The Way Forward. Some analysts argued that the plant might not be closed. A report in The Oakland Press stated, "The fate of the Wixom plant, however, will depend on the shape of Ford's future product plan, which seems to be currently in flux." Michigan governor, Jennifer Granholm, reportedly offered $115 million in tax cuts to keep the plant open. The plant was nonetheless idled in 2007, and by mid-June 2008, while Ford was able to find buyers for other idled plants, Wixom remained unsold.

Products:
1958–2002 Lincoln Continental
1958–2005 Ford Thunderbird
1980–1983 Lincoln Mark VI
1981–2007 Lincoln Town Car
1984–1992 Lincoln Mark VII
1993–1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
2000–2006 Lincoln LS
2005–2006 Ford GT

Carl Heller ~ partsetal, came up with an excellent idea in a recent conversation with me. He suggested that Ford host a Retired/Ex Wixom Plant Retirees event, honoring those who built Thunderbirds, Lincolns, and Ford GT's during the history of the plant. This coupled with present Tbird, Lincoln and Ford GT owners bringing their cars that were built at Wixom during its history should be a very good event. I told Dave about this and he put me in contact with a friend of his, a retired Wixom employee, who worked at the plant from 1976-2006. He, in turn, put me in contact with My Ford Magazine, who put me in contact with Media.Ford.com. To them, I gave the above suggestion. In 2017, it will be the 60th anniversary of the founding of Wixom. That might be a great time to hold such an event. I will let you know what Ford has to say about this.

Wixom Assembly Plant History

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/WixomB...emblyPlant.htm

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 12-12-2014 at 03:56 PM.