This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Apprentice

JamesBorisPerez is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering Control Valve Leak

One of the hoses that go from the control valve to the cylinder bursted and I replaced it. I noticed that fluid is leaking from the ball joint of the control valve. I have the Ford technical bulletin and a service manual. I'm just wondering:

1) Is the ball joint under fluid pressure during normal operation.

2) What's the best way to proceed

I'm thinking of going through the basic removal process just to get familiar with removal and replacement.

I did see there is a site that re-builds these units or I can try myself.

Any assistance would be appreciated, I bought this car in Jan of 2014, my third t-bird, first two were 1964's
Old 08-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If you see fluid coming from the ball stud then it's leaking from the spool seals. You can rebuild it yourself but I've done mine twice in the last three years and it still leaks. I just sent mine here to be rebuilt. It comes with a one year warranty and costs around $90.
http://www.stangerssite.com/

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

Thank you, I'm going to give re-building the ball joint seals a try before sending it out to re-build. I prefer the first option since my car won't be out of commission. Thank You.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Apprentice

Decided to remove the control valve, took me about 5 hours to remove the ball stud, could not believe it, tried heat, then a ball joint removal tool, then a heavy duty one, that did the job. Tried rebuilding it, the cost was about $50.00, still leaked. Ordered a rebuilt one from Larry's, got it yesterday, going to put in tomorrow. I think I'm getting good at this.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Apprentice

Took the new Control Valve out the box, looked exactly the same, installed and when I went to install the lines that go from the valve to the cylinder the fitting of the lines were too big, ****!!!!, Yes I know, should of checked it. I'm going to keep the valve, drain the fluid and remove the pump belt, then I"m on a mission to get the right lines!!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Did you specify when you ordered it that the valve was for a '60. 58-59 valves have different size fittings. You should have metal lines, not rubber.

John

Old 11-09-2014, 04:11 AM
Apprentice

Yes, the first problem was one of the hoses from the control valve to the cylinder ruptured. Both of these hoses were rubber. I bought two replacement stainless steel hoses and they fit fine. The car is very stock, so I did specify 1960 control valve from Larry's. Now I have to figure out if someone sells a hose with one fitting that will fit the re-built control valve and the other end to fit the existing cylinder.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

I think I got my replacement hoses from Rockauto.com. Way better price, and fit perfectly. You might try them and get the one that fits a 59.

Dave
Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 AM

I don't believe RockAuto sells the hoses from the control valve to the cylinder. They just have the hoses from the pump to the valve.

John

Old 11-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBorisPerez View Post
Yes, the first problem was one of the hoses from the control valve to the cylinder ruptured. Both of these hoses were rubber. I bought two replacement stainless steel hoses and they fit fine. The car is very stock, so I did specify 1960 control valve from Larry's. Now I have to figure out if someone sells a hose with one fitting that will fit the re-built control valve and the other end to fit the existing cylinder.
The hoses you have are probably 5/16". You need 1/4" if the fittings are too large. Normally the valve and the cylinder will match. There were cylinders that were 1/4" in 1960 to match the control valve. I've never seen hoses sold that were 1/4 on one end and 5/16 on the other. I would call Larry's and ask. If you go to your local home center store you may be able to find 1/4 to 5/16 flare adapters. Do you still have your old valve. The seats are removable. You may be able to swap them over.

John