This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Keep in mind with newer Mustang take-offs you'll likely need spacers as I think they have some positive offset. I think Rusty runs spacers on his.
Yep, forgot about that, lots of offset to them, but was only an issue up front. The backs clear fine without spacers, but are a pain to take off the car. The drums keeps the wheels from coming off the car. You have to jack the car up, set her on stands, unbolt the passenger shock at the bottom and then lower the axle, then they will come off. Now, I don't know, it might not be as big a problem on a 59 or 60 with the leaf spring rear end?

But, I think when I finally convert the rear to disc that problem will go away.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of your replies and photos! They all look great. This info will be a big help once I get down to the nitty-gritty. I haven't yet decided for sure on the style of wheel I'm going to go with...lots of choices out there.
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
... You have to jack the car up, set her on stands, unbolt the passenger shock at the bottom and then lower the axle, then they will come off. Now, I don't know, it might not be as big a problem on a 59 or 60 with the leaf spring rear end? ...
I don't have that much trouble with my '60. It takes a few contortions, but no need to unbolt shocks or anything. I just got to get it up high enough that I can still slide the wheel under the axle (face down) and pivot it up over the drum. At least I think that's how I do it, haven't had 'em off in a while.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Just made a quick 5 min photoshop idea of my future hot rod wheel config... The wheels are U.S. Wheel 26 type with white lettered tires. Finally planning to have 2 sets of wheels - the second will be the wire wheels with full white-walls. I love those wheels, just a little costy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t-bird-kola.jpg (318.7 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Gerten1.jpg (72.5 KB, 178 views)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
I don't have that much trouble with my '60. It takes a few contortions, but no need to unbolt shocks or anything. I just got to get it up high enough that I can still slide the wheel under the axle (face down) and pivot it up over the drum. At least I think that's how I do it, haven't had 'em off in a while.
Yeah, I was thinking the rear would articulate better on the leafs. I would guess those control arms on the 58 tend to bind it up more. I know when I mounted them up on our 65, they went on easy as can be, no work at all.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Quote:
I really need to get better photos of her. Running Mustang 17x8 rims with 235 up front and 275 in the rear.

Hi Rusty - Do you know offhand what the height value of your tires is?
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
Hi Rusty - Do you know offhand what the height value of your tires is?
The fronts are 25.3" in dia
The rears are 25.7" in dia

I have no idea how that compares to the factory dia.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Quote:

Nice set-up by the way! I see my question wasn't quite right. I need to clarify...

I am referring to the sidewall aspect ratio, or the "55" in this example - -235/55R17 on your car. Looking at Salguod's pix and comparing to yours, yours appear thinner but could be just the different angles.
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
Nice set-up by the way! I see my question wasn't quite right. I need to clarify...

I am referring to the sidewall aspect ratio, or the "55" in this example - -235/55R17 on your car. Looking at Salguod's pix and comparing to yours, yours appear thinner but could be just the different angles.
Ah, I figured you meant tire dia for gearing, etc.

The fronts are 245x45x17 and the rears are 275x40x17, so I am running a staggered setup, which I seem to always do.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Factory tires were tall:

800-14 - 27.58" dia.
850-14 - 28.10" dia.

Those numbers are from Cooker Tire's website listing of bias play tires.