This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Trevor.resar is on a distinguished road

Engine and transmission are now out of the Thunderbird. Now I've got a giant hole to stand in and start taking measurements. Being able to see the complete steering set up, I think I can make it work just by fabricating some motor mounts for the 4.6. Also changing to a front sump pan will make this a much easier speed bump in the long road to come of this project.

After a little digging, the 2000 Lincoln Continental used the 4.6 with a front sump pan. Looking into the measurements on that pan now. I may be able to keep from buying a $300 Moroso pan.

Tall gears have always been an item on the list for this car. But I might have to factor in a spare set of tires in the budget
Old 09-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

[quote=Tall gears have always been an item on the list for this car. But I might have to factor in a spare set of tires in the budget [/QUOTE]

and the list goes on!
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

I'm liking where this is going. I want to put one of those 4.6's in my 40 merc.

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 09-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

If you do Keith, get a sacrificial car from which you can take the electronics, cables, connectors, etc.

Now, there are a lot of old Romeo engines. I was never a big fan of the aluminum block but I do like the four-valve heads. Both blocks are identical in many ways so you can put four valve heads on a cast iron 4.6L block. Those heads come in LH and RH but the 2-valve aluminum heads are interchangeable. Both cranks are the same dimensions but Cobra wears a steel crank. Is there a difference in cranks? Not really because the stroke is so short.

This engine is under 300 cubes but when you put massive heads and timing chains on, it looks huge. With overhead cams, there are no pushrods. The 'lifters' are now called 'lash adjusters' because the plunger is the only part that moves, and rocker arms are now called, 'roller followers'. Roller followers have needle bearings that roll on the cam. That's why this engine needs no ZDDP in the oil.

Aside from 4-bolt mains, the crowning glory of the Romeo engine is the connecting rods. They are made of sintered and compacted powdered metal, scored at the cap, then pulled apart (not machined). When that hydraulic machine pulls the cap, it comes off with a very loud, "CRACK!" The mating surfaces are jagged which means each cap only goes together with it's perfectly mating counterpart. Caps cannot mate backwards or with other rods. Once mated and bolted, caps cannot move in any direction. The parting line is so perfect, it's very hard to find.

The pistons have full floating wrist pins (like FE engines), hypereutectic alloy pistons, moly rings, stainless valves and seats, Viton seals, a knock sensor and every modern feature you should expect in a top shelf engine.

With forged pistons, this engine can be super or turbo charged (but so can your FE engine). - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
...I want to put one of those 4.6's in my 40 merc.
One of our local hot rodders had one in his hot rod. From his firewall, the hood quickly tapered to the radiator, giving it a "V" shape. The 4-valve engine heads stuck half way out each side, giving the appearance that the engine is huge. Each valve cover was branded, "LINCOLN". It was VERY cool... His front end was king pin with spoke wheels and small disk brakes and lots of chrome. I believe his trans was a 6-speed Tremec. I wish I had taken a picture. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Looks like itīs going to be a great project! I just hope you donīt put on too "big wheels". That will kill it.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

You got the Cobra motor but did you get the T-Shirt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mts.JPG (122.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg mmo.JPG (132.8 KB, 108 views)
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Trevor.resar is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the lack of posting. I've been in and out of town, and in and out of the country for work. Not much progress has been made since my last post. Currently looking for automatic transmission options for my set up.