This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Experienced

Dan.loeb is on a distinguished road
Default Power window motor replacement

So I tore down one of my window motors that was not working and found one of the ground wires melted to a crisp inside of. The motor from the bottom of the case to the windings.. I went through the power window rebuild in the trl, but I am not sure how to replace the tiny ground wire inside of the motor and where to solder it to. Any info on this? Also, does anyone know of a cheap place to order a full replacement motor either rebuilt or new.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Power window motor replacement

Dan, Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here, has a lot of Squarebird parts. Send him a Private Message and ask him if he has what you are looking for. Carl ships Squarebird parts all over the world. He is a great person to know!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-21-2014, 03:52 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

What year Thunderbird is this for??? In your profile, it says you don't own a T-bird. Ford used different motors for different T-birds. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Experienced

It's a 1960 2dr hardtop. The window motor I am referring about is the one for the rear quarter window. I was thinking about just rewiring the motor and hoping for the best. What I do not understand is where to solder the ground to on the windings inside the motor. Do I just solder it to the copper windings directly?
Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 AM
Slow Typist

Ground is separated from this motor. Look at this diagram. This is a "SHUNT MOTOR", meaning that the fields are in separate circuits from the armature.

One wire feeds the UP field wire, another wire feeds the DOWN field wire. The other ends of those two field wires, F2 & F4 connect to A2 and to a wire that comes out of the motor. What the diagram doesn't show is the circuit breaker before the wire connects to ground.

Understand how these motors work. In any DC motor, if you reverse the field and not the armature, the motor runs backward. The prints show both field wires wound in opposite directions of each other. That's because they are. If by mistake, someone hits the UP and DOWN switches at the same time (if that's possible), both fields negate each other's magnetism and the motor does not turn (or burn up).

These motors are available at a handsome price. I prefer using a two-wire permanent magnet motor with two double pole relays. The N.C. relay contacts are used for electrical interlock, so there can be no mistakes. Permanent magnet motors are everywhere at decent prices. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I'll attach some motor pictures to see if any will help out. Working on the 60's, I have found 3 different designs on window motors. Some have the brush holder at the shaft end and others have the brush holder at the opposite end. A picture of your motor might help.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3159.jpg (327.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3280.jpg (321.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3281.jpg (353.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Slow Typist

What ever happened with this, Dan?

--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Experienced

Power window motor was bad. I got myself a refurb from Pat wilson's Thunderbirds in Newton NJ. Great guy.

All is well now with the new motor