This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM

RBT2013 is on a distinguished road
Default Problem solved . Thank you!!

Hunty and simplyconnected. Thank you for your help. As per Hunty first thing i did this morning was replace the condensor. Sure enough that was the problem. Almost a week of headaches and agravation for a $6.00 part which I suspected but I didnt think of replacing because it was new just 2 weeks. I will leave my distributor where it is. I am sure someone in the past had a reason for installing it that way and just tuned it to that tower. I am a happy camper. Thanks guys.
Robert
Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Apprentice

hunty is on a distinguished road

No worries mate, yeah I spent half a day a few hours from my house trying to fix it, and we had two other guys who where mechanics.
I wouldn't worry about your firing order, mine was wrong according to the manual pics but when a pulled the rocker cover everything lined up with number one(just not "one" on the dizzy).
I don't know about the state's but here I had to buy another one later on as the first one was the wrong one, I had to buy one to suit same model truck as there was no listing for the cars.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

If your condenser was bad you had no spark at all. It would have helped if you mentioned that.

Even so, I hope you get your distributor right because it does make a difference. Right now, your rotor is not sitting in front of a spark plug tower when the spark happens. You may see this if you look inside the cap; carbon will trail one edge of each tower electrode. This promotes a carbon track.

Glad to hear you got your spark back. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
If your condenser was bad you had no spark at all. It would have helped if you mentioned that.

Even so, I hope you get your distributor right because it does make a difference. Right now, your rotor is not sitting in front of a spark plug tower when the spark happens. You may see this if you look inside the cap; carbon will trail one edge of each tower electrode. This promotes a carbon track.

Glad to hear you got your spark back. - Dave
Sorry but i've got to disagree with you here, mine had spark still, both out of the coil and number one plug. It was just so weak it wouldn't fire, it would try but I'd only get a pop, we all thought it was carb related at first.
Good to hear you got it running again.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 PM

RBT2013 is on a distinguished road
Default Problem solved

Dave,
Actually I did have a spark. I menined that on my original post but I guess it was weak, but I thought a spark is a spark.. lesson learned. And yes I will eventually get that distributor fixed, right now I am just glad she is running. Thank you again.
Robert
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty View Post
Sorry but i've got to disagree with you here, mine had spark still, both out of the coil and number one plug. It was just so weak it wouldn't fire, it would try but I'd only get a pop, we all thought it was carb related at first.
Good to hear you got it running again.
It's healthy to disagree mate, that's how we learn from each other.

If I don't see and hear that pretty blue, 'snap' coming from a spark plug, gapped at ~.030", I consider that 'no spark at all'. Orange colored spark doesn't do it, either.

I have seen where coil polarity was reversed for years, giving substandard spark. Just because it works does not mean it is right, but it's hard to argue with success.

Ultimately, the owner will do what he wants. After all, it is his car and his money. All I can do is suggest correct procedures based on the Shop Manual. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Apprentice

Default 390 questions

Hi all you fe gurus I thought I'd ask here instead of starting another thread. What's the best fe to get, I can get a ribbed cobra jet block.
Would this be better in the long run or am I better to get a normal lateish 390 block. Aren't the cobra jet block not drilled for hydraulic cams? The bloke that has the engine reakons the ribbed blocks can be bored 80thou, which would give me a 410?
Cheers Andrew
Old 06-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Slow Typist

If you don't want a 390, get a 427. They use the same crank.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
If you don't want a 390, get a 427. They use the same crank.
What's a 427 worth, over in the states. all the complete ones here are $10000. Hence the reason for the 390 I may be able to afford one lol