This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Where did you find the self adjuster kits and how much were they? I've seen the spring kits, but nothing for the self adjusters.
Nyles
Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

They are not listed for 58-60 Thunderbirds since they were not available. If you check under 1961 Thunderbird you will find them. The part numbers are Wagner H2512, H2513 and Raybestos H2544 and H2545. Napa also has them under their own part number. Most auto stores will have them or can get them. You can also get them from Rock Auto. They run between $6 and $10 dollars each. You need two of each side. You also need four of the self adjuster springs; Wagner H412. They come in pairs. They don't come in the kit.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Experienced

V-John is on a distinguished road

I've been following this thread while doing my brakes. What a big help!

I've got the rear done and have started on the front left. After scraping off 50+ years of dirt and grease (about a pound of it) off the spindle, fender, and A-arms, I'm ready to paint and then rebuild. When I took the brake backing plate off, the remnant of the gasket that went between the spindle and plate fell apart/tore. I haven't found replacement gaskets anywhere online or at auto parts stores, but was wondering if anyone knows where to find them?
1959 T-Bird -Thunderbird Registry #46052
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukejohnson99/
Old 11-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Can't answer your question, BUT...........while you have the backing plates off check the spots where the shoes rub and fill any grooves with weld and grind smooth or if there are small ridges grind them smooth. These areas need to be smooth for the shoes to float and now is the time for you to inspect and fix if needed.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-John View Post
When I took the brake backing plate off, the remnant of the gasket that went between the spindle and plate fell apart/tore. I haven't found replacement gaskets anywhere online or at auto parts stores, but was wondering if anyone knows where to find them?
Just buy some gasket material and make your own. They're nothing special.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Experienced

V-John is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Just buy some gasket material and make your own. They're nothing special.

John
That was on my mind. Thanks.
1959 T-Bird -Thunderbird Registry #46052
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukejohnson99/