This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Apprentice

kenneybert is on a distinguished road
Default engine swap

has anyone ever took the original engine out and replaced it with another one ,, I have a 1977 ford granada that Im going to take the master cyl and rotors and disc brakes and put on my 1959 thinderbird,, I know they will fit with a little machining for the lower ball joint ,, but it also has a perfect running 302 engine ,, how hard would that be to take my 390 out and swap it with the 302 and tranny ?????
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
KULTULZ

I think you will be disappointed in the loss of performance, but it is do-able.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

You will lose a lot of torque. The 302 was designed for a much lighter car.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

And the 1977 model engine had really low performance as far as 302's go. I think it's rated at like 135 hp. I'd look for another 390 if you need another engine.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Apprentice

kenneybert is on a distinguished road
Default engine swap

its a good running 390 engine ,, everyone told me to drop a 302 in it and never have to worry about it ..maybe ill just keep the 390 in it ..I have several good running 352 engines..I just thought while I was ruining a perfect good 1977 granada by taking the front brakeing system off and putting on my tbird Id just go ahead and use the engine as well..you know get all I can get from the granada if i was going to destroy it lol.. I just cant get going on it cause it is a very drivable granada with a super nice body ..but its bound to happen..
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
I just cant get going on it cause it is a very drivable granada with a super nice body ..but its bound to happen...
Think of it this way, that period GRANADA was one ugly piece of automobile...

You could successfully power an early BIRD with a 302 but not the one from that car. It is a mechanical smog engine and seriously underpowered. Maybe keep it and later bring it to 5.0L specs with fuel injection and it would make a better candidate (351W would be even better).

If you do decide to swap, please consider keeping all of the original drive train as it will be more valuable @ resell in the future.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

A 460 and a C6 will fit.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM

sanpengyou is on a distinguished road

Dakota Boy.

I'm considering the 460 C6 combo for my 59. Any advice? Where would you put it on a 1-10 difficulty scale?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Apprentice

Traxxas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpengyou View Post
Dakota Boy.

I'm considering the 460 C6 combo for my 59. Any advice? Where would you put it on a 1-10 difficulty scale?
I'm running a C6 and it fit right in. The only thing I would say to watch out for was when the 428CJ went in the headers hit the walls and needed to be modified.