This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 AM
BDASTRK

Hey Dave

Being I have spent the last 20 yrs in the Industrial coating world, I can tell you that internal coatings magic is real. The question is, is it worth the $.

I can tell you that I work directly with NIC Industries, and there is some data regarding Thermal coatings and some real world tests that actually prove their effectiveness. Here is the problem with them...............its overly expensive and the results in a plain Jane motor isnt real good.

There is a guy in Portland Oregon his name is Russ Meeks, Russ developed a custom Ceramic coating for the US Military. Russ showed me the test data of a fully built race motor that had every component in that engine coated with either thermal barrier, Oil Shedding coatings or Bearing surface slick. The before and after dyno showed an 7% increase in HP, a 15% reduction is internal oil and water temp.

Its a simple concept really, The bearing slick reduces drag, the thermal coatings shed heat and the oil shedding coating also reduces drag. However what I did find interesting is all the HP gains where achieved at 5000 RPM's and above.

So yes it works, however that particular motor cost over $10K to prep and coat. I have no doubt in my mind that it will work...........my only concern is for how long will be the question. The environment in that combustion chamber is quite hostile, so the question is will it hold up.

Whats crazy is it cost me more money on the Iron Heads then it would have for a set of Ebocks. LOL Although a set of Ebocks out of the Box dont impress me all that much...........but these do!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDASTRK View Post
...Although a set of Ebocks out of the Box dont impress me all that much...........but these do!...
Nice heads! Do they fit a 352?

Edelbrocks offer a good start and they are very available. They leave an extra 1/2" that may be shaved off the deck, which is exactly what I did for my 351W. I milled those Performer RPMs right down to the valve seats. They also come with stainless thread inserts, silica bronze guides, Viton seals, stainless valves, hard sintered metal seats (from powdered metal), hardened spring washers (perches), good springs, retainers, keepers, etc. The valves rotate by design.

Edelbrock FE heads have large valves that will only fit 390s and above. That eliminates Squarebird engines.

Hard to tell from pics but it looks like your heads have coated bowls, runners, threads, and I see bronze guides. I'd like to see a finished assembly.

Cerakote C-7300 and C-7600 spray-on (air dry) coatings are new to the market and have only been tested for two years. I'm concerned about the different coefficient of thermal expansion between the coating and aluminum alloy. In Michigan, ambient temps can reach twenty below F, and of course the combustion chambers heat very quickly under pressure/vacuum extremes. I would like to see some real statistics with samples from a large population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDASTRK View Post
...However what I did find interesting is all the HP gains where achieved at 5000 RPM's and above.
I don't know that this is practical for classic and family car engines that rarely reach 4k-rpm. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 PM
BDASTRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Nice heads! Do they fit a 352?

Edelbrocks offer a good start and they are very available. They leave an extra 1/2" that may be shaved off the deck, which is exactly what I did for my 351W. I milled those Performer RPMs right down to the valve seats. They also come with stainless thread inserts, silica bronze guides, Viton seals, stainless valves, hard sintered metal seats (from powdered metal), hardened spring washers (perches), good springs, retainers, keepers, etc. The valves rotate by design.

Edelbrock FE heads have large valves that will only fit 390s and above. That eliminates Squarebird engines.

Hard to tell from pics but it looks like your heads have coated bowls, runners, threads, and I see bronze guides. I'd like to see a finished assembly.

Cerakote C-7300 and C-7600 spray-on (air dry) coatings are new to the market and have only been tested for two years. I'm concerned about the different coefficient of thermal expansion between the coating and aluminum alloy. In Michigan, ambient temps can reach twenty below F, and of course the combustion chambers heat very quickly under pressure/vacuum extremes. I would like to see some real statistics with samples from a large population.

I don't know that this is practical for classic and family car engines that rarely reach 4k-rpm. - Dave

I think what is missing here is performance engine vs standard every day run of the mill rebuild. I dont do every day run of the mill rebuilds, if I am going to do a build regardless if it is for OLE MA's grocery getter to a drag strip motor its going to be performance based.

I also think that we are getting way off base from my intended concept which is to keep the head from soaking into the Head and the Cylinder. Running Iron heads was a desire, it wasnt my only option.

I could have easily Ran a set of CNC Blue Thunder heads and Intake and got a boat load more HP and still ran it on the street.........but again this wasnt my intention.