This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 AM
KULTULZ

If the clutch will not disengage, either it has continuous power or the clutch is defective.

Can you post a photo of the compressor and a close-up of the clutch asm?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Apprentice

flyinthermals is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Issues (Part Supplier)

Would anyone know of a place to purchase a thermostatic switch for a 62 tbird. I believe the part # is 19618a. I found one for 175.00. I wondering if that is what I should expect to pay.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Apprentice

Default A/C Issues

What would be the simplest way to test the thermostatic switch? I have tried to look at it and there is no room to move where it is. Is there any way to test it in position or does it have to come off?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 PM
Experienced

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road

If you have an Ohm meter , set it to resistance and attach it to the two terminals of the thermostat . If the thermostat is in the off position ( warmest setting -not calling for cooling) you should have no deflection of the needle . If you do have deflection then the thermostat is defective . If that checks out OK then lowly raise the setting of the thermostat by turning it in the colder direction . You should see needle deflection when you reach a point where the thermostat setting is colder than the surrounding air of the sensor bulb of the thermostat , at that point it should put 12volts to the compressor clutch . Ian(REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH )
Old 07-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Apprentice

Default A/C Issues

Thank you Ian. I will try to test it from where it is.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

What about the clutch bearings and the bullet connection at the clutch... Did you disconnect power? Are the bearings working freely?

Before troubleshooting the electrical, you should prove the mechanical operations first. Most A/C compressor problems are such that the clutch won't energize, not de-energize. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Apprentice

Default A/C Issues

The clutch wont de-energize. With the car off (power off) the clutch turns freely but sticks with a little friction. It may have a bearing issue but it's the not de-energizing problem that is keeping a/c on. It could be the cable to the switch adjustment but the lover that turns the switch from off to on now looks like it travels from one extreme to the other good. i don't hear the compressor cycling or the clutch disengaging.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinthermals View Post
The clutch wont de-energize. With the car off (power off) the clutch turns freely but sticks with a little friction. It may have a bearing issue but it's the not de-energizing problem that is keeping a/c on...
I am confused by your answer. If you have a bearing problem, the compressor bypasses the electromagnetic clutch and the belt simply turns the compressor shaft.

There is a simple way of testing this, by disconnecting the electric wire at the clutch. Understand, with no power, the clutch cannot energize and the compressor should not turn. The belt-driven pulley simply rides on the bearings but the compressor does not turn.

After disconnecting the power, tell us your results. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Apprentice

With the power disconnected, the clutch does not turn. It is disengaged. Something I could not see happening when the power was on. The clutch would not cycle ever. When a bearing issue was suggested, I assumed that the magnetic clutch, when not engaged, will spin freely by hand because it is not magnetized and if is doesn't then it must be the bearing. It feels like it is sticking as I try to turn it by hand. When the power is on the clutch seems just to be in a constant energize situation. I guess it could be the switch or the cable that is causing the problem. Unless another member who has a/c can spin the clutch with ease when the power is off.

When the power is on, it blows very cold air. Because it seems not to be cycling, I decided, with Ian's advice to unplug it so as not to blow the compressor out. Where that thermostatic switch is though, it is hard to see it and test it. I may have to pull the front seat out. Or maybe take the dash apart.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Slow Typist

Whether you have a Warner or Eaton clutch, they have their own separate bearing (apart from the compressor bearings).

The bearing allows the pulley to spin freely as long as the clutch is NOT energized. There should be no drag:

I don't mean to beat this dead horse but again, if the bearing is frozen, the compressor will not cycle.

I'm going to believe you when you say the compressor does not turn with the clutch wire unplugged. That being true, you are right in pursuing and testing the evaporator switch. - Dave

As a side note... I don't know why they call it a clutch when it's really like a brake. Brakes are never engaged until energized. Clutches are always engaged until energized.

--Lee Iacocca