This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Apprentice

Sherman is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Wheel Bearing Seal

Hello,
How far should a rear axle shaft seal be hammered into the axle shaft tube?

Should there be a gasket between the axle shaft tube and the brake backing plate?

Thanks,
Sorry to be brief, I had a very long explanation typed before I had computer issues.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

they go in until they are seated. It should be very obvious that it
s where it should be. If not, you may have the wrong seal.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Jim is right, Sherman. The seal goes in quite a ways because the axle bearing is on the outboard side of it, then the flange and gasket cover the end.. Here's a picture of your setup:

1180 is called, RETAINER - REAR WHEEL BEARING - INNER, and I believe it mates with the seal (1177).

It's strange to see "CHINA" on your address because most folks don't know that East China Township is right next to Port Huron (where Thomas Edison was born and grew up). You can spit and hit Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, right across the St. Mary's River. I love that area.

My first German Shorthaired Pointer came from East China Twp., so I named her, China. God, I miss that dog. She turned lamps on and off, opened doors from the inside of rooms, loved water, fetching and was loyal as the day is long. She was the smartest dog I ever had. BTW, I LOVE your High School football stadium. We used to play Marine City Mariner's there. Every time Marine City got a Touchdown they'd BLAST OFF that canon.
- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman View Post

How far should a rear axle shaft seal be hammered into the axle shaft tube?

...hammered...?

An axle shaft should slide into the housing once the stub end is aligned with the differential side gear...
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

He's asking about the seal, Gary.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

yep , its pretty far recessed since it is behind the wheel bearing. and its purpose is to to protect the bearing from the gear oil which will be up in the axle housing.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 AM
KULTULZ

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

He's asking about the seal, Gary.

I am having trouble understanding key words...

It goes to the stop.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Apprentice

Sherman is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your responses. To conclude the wheel bearing seal will need to be hammered in all the way in until it seats. Second, there will be a gasket between the axle shaft tube and the inboard side of the brake backing plate.(?)

Will I also need a gasket between the outboard side of the brake backing plate and the axle "mounting bracket?"

Thank again,
Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman View Post

Thank you all for your responses.

To conclude the wheel bearing seal will need to be hammered in all the way in until it seats.
Yes.

Quote:
Second, there will be a gasket between the axle shaft tube and the inboard side of the brake backing plate.(?)

Will I also need a gasket between the outboard side of the brake backing plate and the axle "mounting bracket?"

Thank again,
There is (was) a gasket between the axle housing flange and the brake backing plate and between the brake backing plate and the outer bearing retainer. FEL-Pro should have both.