This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM

nomadder01 is on a distinguished road
Post 63 Tbird, No Reverse

Car had been running fine. Got in it this morning and no reverse, when put in reverse it shook all over like in between gears,now when in neutral it goes forward and even when I give it the gas in park it will lunge forward before it dies.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

First I would check the vacuum modulator. A vacuum leak or a bad modulator can cause some of these types of problems.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Post no reverse

OK it seems to be stuck in drive,I can move lever to any position and car goes forward even in park! It is connected and moves through complete gear range at transmission.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Rebuilt this tranny,now goes in reverse fine,but barely goes in forward gears! What could be the problem?
I read somewhere that if rebuilt with new parts I should use dexron instead of type F
I filled mine with type F,could this be the problem?

Last edited by nomadder01 : 06-01-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've had both Dexron and Type F in my trans and it shifts fine with both. I doubt that's your problem. Did you drain your torque converter. It usually takes awhile for it to refill where it will shift correctly. If it's not that then something wasn't put back correctly. Are you sure you have vacuum to the modulator.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Have you put in the correct amount of ATF?

It almost sound like low fluid symptoms.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 AM
KULTULZ

TYPE F ATF can be interchanged with DEXRON ATF with no adverse effects other than a more firm shift. Depends on whether you want a comfort ride or a more performance feel.

What you cannot do however is introduce DEXRON into a TYPE F transmission (defined by friction materials used) unless the transmission has been rebuilt using more modern friction materials (non-asbestos).

It sounds as though you have an internal fluid flow problem if all of the shift linkages are adjusted correctly and in serviceable condition.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Exclamation 63 tbird no forward,just reverse

Not sure if clutch plates were Nos or new reproduction and no I didn't drain converter,just added type F fluid .