This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwin View Post

Hmmm...

Further study of the Ford master parts book and VTCI specification book section 7.3.6 shows the part numbers for the '60 AT's as:

352-4v Cruise-O-Matic/MX PBL 7003-AH or PBL 7003-AG
430-4v Cruise-O-Matic/MX PBL 7003-M or PBL 7003-AF

That would imply they are all MX's just as KULTULZ says.

However, in the VTCI book there are also several photos and refrences to the HX used with the 430 (both 59 and 60).

The data tag is missing on my tranny but the case is 10-7/8" which matches the size for an HX.

Can anyone shed more light on this? Were HX transmissions used in some 430 birds? If it was a "field replacement" by a tranny shop sometime in the distant past, wouldn't there be a problem with the driveshaft length? Seems I'm not the only one with an HX.
There must be an incorrect entry in the VTCI. The 430 MX (cataloged under MX but actually an HX as all parts are referenced by engine series).

I will again ask Ray to include 60/64 MPC pages showing how FORD identified and cataloged the two different transmissions.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Engine replacement

Here is the information that Gary asked me to upload. I will also put it into the TRL. You can increase the size of the graphic by hitting CTRL and the + sign, decrease it by CTRL and - sign.

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...81960%29_1.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...81960%29_2.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...81960%29_3.jpg

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Engine replacement

Here is some additional information on our transmissions that Gary sent me.

"It is confusing. FORD, for some reason, decided not to list separately (in it's own parts list) the LINC specific HX (LX) in their MPC (FORD - LINC-MERC - EDSEL having their own separate MPC), the HX being listed within the MX parts list (engine specific application). It (HX) came attached with every 430 BIRD, their coming off the same assembly line as the LINC (WIXOM) (LINC using the HX on it's complete line) (The 430 being LINC sourced - different calibration).

When you go into 60/64 MPC for instance, the C/M TYPE in A70.3 (third page I sent you), Basic PN 7005 (main case) is cataloged under 60 /BIRD (S) as B8AZ 7005-F (352 MX) and C0MP 7005-R (430 MX). The 430 MX is actually the LINC HX.

Remember the I.D. illustrations I sent you earlier (attached)? They are discerned from one another by case length and/or Assembly Tag I.D. (Ray's Comment: As I recall, the 430 MX/LINC HX has the longer case length).

the MX is actually the MERC-O-MATIC MULTI-DRIVE. It is the mid-case.

The 59/60 430 MX is actually the TWIN-TURBO HX. The MX was introduced in the mid-fifties and the HX in 1958.

The MEL Engine Series was introduced in 1958."

Hopefully, this information will help explain a lot of things about the Squarebird tranny situation.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm