This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Experienced

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road

Well the 63 is a far superior car to the 61 . Small dent in the dash on passenger side , Looks like the bumber extension on passenger side is bend ( easy replacement ) . This car does have power windows hopefully they are all working . Nice over-all body and paint , notice the correct windshield and front sill and dash . Remember , Classic Auto Air in Tampa Bay Florida has an after market indash installed A/C kit with the new Refrigerant and modern A/C compressor, complete kit to give you the A/C option you want . Again I like 63's but as Ray says 64's to 66's is another option. In the end they are all birds we have a strong passion for, happy hunting regards Ian.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road

[quote= Remember , Classic Auto Air in Tampa Bay Florida has an after market indash installed A/C kit with the new Refrigerant and modern A/C compressor, complete kit to give you the A/C option you want . Again I like 63's but as Ray says 64's to 66's is another option. In the end they are all birds we have a strong passion for, happy hunting regards Ian.[/quote]

I have that A/C system. Can't say I'm thrilled with it. There is a reason the oem's put the evaporator and fan in the engine compartment. The under dash fan is too loud, and the cooling capacity is marginal. I'm going to see if I can use some sound deadening material to lower the noise. They now offer a larger evaporator, which is what should have been standard to start with. The next system I do will be a hybrid that I know will do the job and do it quietly. Sorry for the rant, but as I think good products should be praised, I also think that those that aren't up to par should get equal billing. Mike
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 AM

bmcgc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input.

We are going to look at the 63 this weekend. Even if she isnt interested its always good to get a benchmark on condition and price.

The misses prefers the yellow, turquoise or beige with a beige or white interior.

She has no problem waiting for the right one to come along.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Asphalt Cowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M Greer View Post
Looks like some major changes and an incorrect windshield from another car along with I would walk away from this one !!!
Unless I miss my guess, some DSPO has switched the windshield and rear window around. This mod most likely influenced by the Jeep Gladiator brow cab trucks.

:not my first choice for a first post, but, I couldn't let it go:
Old 03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Experienced

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road

Mike I understand your comments on the squarebird evaporator set-up being externally housed in the engine compartment . But bullet bird and 64 thru 66's have the evaporator installed with-in the interior heating A/C ducting the only thing in the engine compartment is the fan motor only.There-for, the new retro kit is totally installed in the dash heating and cooling assembly with-in the car (referring to evaporator coil only ). With discharge grills mounted through the dash .Ian
Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 PM

bmcgc is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the most desirable year for us is the 66 or the 65 because of the disk brakes.

Stylewise, my misses prefers the 61-63, I prefer the 58-60.

I want ps, pb, ac without having to add them. Other than that, as few options as possible is fine with me.

I will do some upgrades for drivability like adding relays to the headlights and an HEI dizzy.

What amazes me is the number of these cars that have survived 45+ years. There are plenty of them for sale.