This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Diesel Dave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird 60 View Post
Forgot to mention, mine are Cokers as well. 225/75R14.

Chris....From OZ.
Many thanks Chris. Any troubles getting them on/off in the rears?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post
My 215's fill in the wheel wells nicely. I'm running 15 inch wheels not 14 inch.
Thanks! Think I crossed a wire on the wheel diameter!

Dave
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

I run on 215/70R14 Firestones mounted on mid-70s Granada 14" x 6" rims to accomodate the disc brakes on my front axle. Unfortunately the Firestones only have a 1" white stripe. I would have preferred 2-1/4" whitewalls (as OEM equipped) but the only supplier I could find was Diamondback. However they vulcanize the whitewall onto a blackwall tire - not a process I have a lot of confidence in as, in my opinion, it compromises the integrity of the tire structure. However, Diamondback has been selling these tires for a long time and are obviously satisfied with the safety of their tires. As a matter of fact, I ran with H70-14 bias ply Uniroyals that had valcanized 2-1/4" whitewalls for several years with no problems. I couldn't justify the cost of the Diamondbacks given that many industry experts, including several car manufacturers, suggest that tires should be discarded within five to seven years of their production date. I considered tires with 2-1/2" whitewalls but they were too wide for my liking. I was able to get the Firestones with a date code less than three monts old so I will run them for seven years and then replace them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0622.jpg (371.1 KB, 102 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Last edited by Howard Prout : 02-15-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: editing
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Prout View Post
I would have preferred 2 1/4" whitewalls but the only supplier I could find was Diamondback. However they vulcanize the whitewall onto a blackwall tire - not a process I have a lot of confidence in.
Here are some terrible photos I took of the day I test fit the Diamondbacks off our 65 special on the 58.

They are 15x7 front 15x8 rear rims. Tires are 245/60 front 255/60 rear.

If I remember right the rear was a very tight fit on the upper bar, and the front didn't clear the Wilwood disc brakes.

The look didn't really work for me anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_00053.jpg (72.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg P_00054.jpg (55.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg P_00057.jpg (57.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg P_00062.jpg (49.9 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-15-2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Downsized Pix To 800x600. Please Keep Pix To This Size Or Smaller
Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Experienced

triple60squares is on a distinguished road

rusty, did you drive the 58 with those tires on it? the reason i ask is i am going to run 15"tires on my 60 and i want to run 60 series at least on the back and just curious what i can get away with as far as clearences
Old 02-15-2013, 03:50 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 225/75r 14

No problems Dave. The only problem I had was getting flat tyres, luckily whilst parked in the garage. The culprit was the actual tyres, they had a tag ( sticker ) inside about 1/2'' wide & about 2'' long that punctured the tube due to friction. The tyre shop that did the fitting obviously didn't know otherwise he would have removed them first. No problems since. The handling is great, soft ride & no noise.

Chris......From OZ.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird 60 View Post
No problems Dave. The only problem I had was getting flat tyres, luckily whilst parked in the garage. The culprit was the actual tyres, they had a tag ( sticker ) inside about 1/2'' wide & about 2'' long that punctured the tube due to friction. The tyre shop that did the fitting obviously didn't know otherwise he would have removed them first. No problems since. The handling is great, soft ride & no noise.

Chris......From OZ.
Thanks Chris. I'm really looking forward to running radials because the bias plies are quite an adventure (as most everyone here knows).
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post
I think you'd be happy with the setup I've got on my bird. remember if you go too wide in the rear, you'll have a difficult time unmounting and mounting the wheels. The rear wheel wells aren't very deep. It's a close fit getting my 215's in there. I'm sure you'd be OK with 225's, but you'd probably be pushing it with 235's
I'm running 235s all around, but on 17" rims. The rears are a bit of a challenge getting on & off, but once on there's plenty of room inside. I think the 17" wheel diameter actually helps, there's more room inside the wheel to maneuver it over the drum.

My wheels are 17" x 8" with zero offset, which translates into about 4 1/4" of back space I think. Tires are 235/55R17, overall height is a touch less than the original 800-14s at 27.1" The 225/75R15 would be close in height to the optional 850-14 at just over 28".

#3 done & ready for cars & coffee next week. by _salguod, on Flickr
Old 02-23-2013, 03:32 PM

Just to follow up, I pulled the trigger on some BF Goodrich 225/70R15s on 15x7 smoothies. They fit really well and look fantastic.

I haven't driven the car with them mounted yet (too much snow and crud here right now). The section width is nearly identical to the bias plies, so I don't think it will be a problem. They are wider at the contact patch, though, so there may be a possibility of a rub up front. We'll see.

Thanks to everyone here for the pointers.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple60squares View Post
rusty, did you drive the 58 with those tires on it? the reason i ask is i am going to run 15"tires on my 60 and i want to run 60 series at least on the back and just curious what i can get away with as far as clearences
I didn't drive it around, I still had the 17s mounted on the other side of the car... and the upper link in the rear was rubbing on the tire. The front cleared fine.

Two notes for you, we have a 58 with a very low sitting rear. The 58 has those upper links you wouldn't have to worry about. And the backspacing on the rear wheels is setup for the 65 TBird.

But I did take some photos of the clearance in the back, not the best, but it could give you an idea. As you can see in the photos, clearance was fine on the fender side, but the wheel well side was not workable on the 58 with the upper bars.