This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffney1951 View Post

and I can abide the later small block, but that HEI style dist is just wrong.

Mike
Bless You...
Old 08-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

I looked for a few minutes impressed with the 312 I thought I was looking at but something(s) did not seem quite right. I looked back at him and he had a possum smile on his face. I looked again and finally realized what he had done.

He did a 351W/AOD swap and made the engine appear as the correct 312 of the period. I turned and smiled and he said he didn't know how many he had fooled at cars shows their thinking it was the correct engine. I need to get back up there and get photos. You can also make yours appear as OEM and still enjoy the later drive-train.
I have to ask, Kultulz, since I have a 298/C4 in my '55 Ford: was the optical illusion of a 312 done just by using an adapter to mount the Y-block valve covers and reuse the original air cleaner, then painting the block/intake/front cover red? Obviously you couldn't mimic the spacing of the exhaust manifold/outlets and mounting the distributor in the rear: you could do that, though, with a (vomiting in my mouth as I type) belly-button (gag) SBC (hurl).
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA View Post

I have to ask, Kultulz, since I have a 298/C4 in my '55 Ford: was the optical illusion of a 312 done just by using an adapter to mount the Y-block valve covers and reuse the original air cleaner, then painting the block/intake/front cover red? Obviously you couldn't mimic the spacing of the exhaust manifold/outlets and mounting the distributor in the rear: you could do that, though, with a (vomiting in my mouth as I type) belly-button (gag) SBC (hurl).
Alan,

No, he had used the SBF covers but had painted them black and decal-ed them with the THUNDERBIRD SPECIAL decals. He retained the 57 FORD air cleaner. The engine had been painted red of course.

The distributor position did throw it off but was hardly perceptible. Had he run the plug wires tightly around the rockers covers, the feature would be more hidden (IMO).

The exhaust manifolds did give it away but he said it had fooled several old timers at shows.

As for the intake, EDELBROCK makes an AIR-GAP that would give the almost same appearance as the Y-BLOCK intake.

I have been thinking this out since I saw it (several years) and with the addition of DIS (coil packs mounted and hidden @ rear of intake and plug wires originating from the back) and early SBF front engine dress (with closed rocker covers), one could almost complete the illusion (again IMO). Shorty headers (maybe with raised runners) would be a nice touch.

But like I said, it would not fool a purist but it surely would make many wonder...

Are there adapters that would allow the use of Y-Block Rocker covers?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Doc Love is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Nice work and it looks beautiful. I'm glad you kept the electric fan.

Thanks, we really did not have much choice with the fan. The centerline of the 351 water pump pulley is 3 or 4 inches higher than the stock configuration. It would not line up with the center of the radiator, I can't imagine what the fan shroud would have looked like.