This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Apprentice

Steffan is on a distinguished road
Default Carburator I.D. Tag

I was wondering if anyone could decipher the ID Tag from my carb. Something makes me feel it is not the correct carb for my 1960 Bird with a 352. The tag # is C2SE C A 2HB and this is off a 4100 Autolite. Based on the code I think it may be off a 1962 but not sure of engine size so I am not really sure if it has the right jets for my 60. My manual does not show this part on the carb. I have had some problems with the carb over the past year, hard to start, running rich, hesitation etc. so a friend of mine introduced me to a carb guru. First thing he found was the engine sounded like it had a massive vaccuum leak and the idle changed when you removed the air cleaner. Turned out the kanoodle valve was bent.

You ask what is a kanoodle valve? It is a metalic strip held on by 2 screws near the top of the carb on the secondary side running horizontal that closes a small hole. Any way I managed to find a good used one and replaced it. Now the car starts up right away after sitting for a week or so. Before this you had to pump the hell out of the pedal and it took for ever to get it started.
I just have to go back out and see him again and he will reset the mixture screws and check the distributor and timing. He normally just works on race cars but it is great to have a friend who has a friend who has a friend.........
Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The tag denotes a 1962 Thunderbird carburetor from a 390. It should work fine on your '60 although it doesn't have the correct inlet for the inline fuel filter that was only used in 1960. Other than that it's basically the same.

John
Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan View Post

First thing he found was the engine sounded like it had a massive vaccuum leak and the idle changed when you removed the air cleaner. Turned out the kanoodle valve was bent.

You ask what is a kanoodle valve? It is a metalic strip held on by 2 screws near the top of the carb on the secondary side running horizontal that closes a small hole.
Kanoodle valve sounds like something an urologist would remove...

It is a HOT IDLE COMPENSATION VALVE. It opens when excess engine heat is sensed (bi-metallic strip) and allows outside air to enter the engine increasing idle speed (controlled vacuum leak) causing the water pump to flow coolant more quickly. As ambient under-hood air temp decreases, it will then close.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Super-Experienced

gaffney1951 is on a distinguished road
Default I thought ...

kanoodleing was something that went on in the back seat of your Thunderbird. Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM
KULTULZ

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffney1951 View Post

kanoodleing was something that went on in the back seat of your Thunderbird. Mike
I wish someone would have informed my old lady of that...

When I first met her, I held off taking her to the drive-in as she was young and innocent. As the dating progressed, I felt she may finally be ready...

Of course we sat in the front seat and as the evening went along, I made a few smooth and calculated moves...

She seemed to be taking it all well and I asked her,"Would you like to get in the back seat?"

She said no and I began snuggling again. After awhile, I again asked her.

She again said no (have become very familiar with that ) and I again asked her why...

"I want to stay up here with you..."

...sob...
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Funny!!!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, Gary. That was a good one!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm