This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I KNEW I had seen a temp gauge drawing somewhere here on this site....

Click the link and read the first post. Then click on the second attachment in that first post.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ght=temp+gauge
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

But that's only accurate for that guy's gauge, I think these gauges have been rather inconsistent, likely more so after 50 years.

Mine generally runs between the M and P, when it's full of coolant. It also slowly seems to loose coolant somewhere and the gauge will start to creep up. I'm thinking some engine work is in order, at least a top end rebuild, but I'm trying to watch the fluid levels and enjoy it as long as I can 'cause I can't spend the $$ right now.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I am still waiting on my 6 blade fan and shroud to come in. However, yesterday I tried advancing the timing because I was getting some backfire through the carburetor when stepping down fast on the accelerator. Not only did advancing the timing fix the backfire but it also dropped my normal running temperature about ten degrees.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Well, at least you found the problem. The re-builder should not have released the car with the timing out of spec...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyercalif View Post
I am still waiting on my 6 blade fan and shroud to come in.
I just ran across this for 58-60 Birds:
http://thunderbirdsouthwest.com/inde...n-shrouds.html

Shroud is $179.00 and 6 metal blade fan is $66.50.

I don't know if that is the going rate elsewhere or not.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Well, at least you found the problem. The re-builder should not have released the car with the timing out of spec...
I do not know who the rebuilder was. I bought the engine from a private party who had it rebuilt but never installed. The engine had sat in his garage for a number of years. I traded a local garage some of my legal services to install it in my Bird, I think they set the initial timing at factory recommended 6 bftdc, however with the cam that is in the engine it needed to be advanced quite a bit more. I do not know what cam it has, but it has a nice lope and the car really runs strong since the timing adjustment.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

nice work!!!

For anyone interested, you can buy a digital readout, infrared temperature reader at Harbor Freight and other places. Just point and check. Here is one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html for about $40

It occurs to me I have used it for:

* getting real values for engine temp (agreed the stock gauges can vary for many reasons)

* finding places with poor flow

* monitoring my woodstove

* even diagnosing a case of cellulitis!

Good, quantitative information is always potentially valuable.

John