This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Apprentice

Charles Nix is on a distinguished road
Default new member needs advise on how to change 352 oil pan gasket

I am going to attempt the repair over the weekend. If anyone has done this repair and can pass along your experiences, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

The manual tells you to drain the radiator and take the upper hose off - my radiator was out at the time so not sure if it is necessary but you do have to lift then motor pretty high for the pan to clear the oil pump pick-up. The upper hose may not allow that much upward movement of the motor which is why you would need to remove it.

You will have to take the nuts off both motor mounts so the mounts can come free of the mounting plates.

I didn't have a hoist handy so I lifted the motor by the oil pan (wood block between the jack and pan) then wedged blocks under the motor mounts to keep the motor lifted while I changed the gasket. It takes some moving around to get it out but not terrible. The hard part is getting the pan back in there without moving the newly installed gasket or rubbing off any of the sealer.

Pass side motor mount nut (front suspension removed) just so you can see where it is and how much fun it is to get to it - did mine after I had put the suspension back on.

Allowing the whole weekend probably isn't a bad idea.

Guess it was about time for me to replace that gasket - had as much oil on the outside as on the inside......

Eric
registry 5347

Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

If your Bird has factory AC, make sure you watch the top rear bellhousing bolt. It can crack that black, plastic firewall AC phlenum in a heartbeat (when lifting the engine).

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Sometimes - like on the Y-Block - it is easier if cylinder #5 is at TDC so the crankshaft counterweights don't hit the pan.

Anything like that on the 352?

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nix View Post
I am going to attempt the repair over the weekend. If anyone has done this repair and can pass along your experiences, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Charles - I replaced the oil pan on my 352 last summer, and I agree with everything that Eric said, especially the part about it taking the whole weekend...if you're a lay on your back under the car kind of guy like me!

I lifted the front of the car a couple inches and put jack stands under the front cross member, removed both rad hoses, and drained the oil before I lifted the engine. I lifted until the bolts were clear of the mounts. After changing out the pan I had more trouble lowering the engine back onto the bolts. Maybe when I lifted the front end first it wasn't quite level? I don't know, but I had to jiggle the engine quite a bit to get it to set back down.

My pan and pickup screen were both pretty clean...I did remove and clean the screen, but I didn't go any further with the oil pump. Many would recommend replacing the oil pump "while you're in there"...

If I had to do it again I would probably remove both front wheels and undo the trans cooler lines from the rad. More room to work with the wheels off, and I didn't like the stress on those trans hoses.

Have fun! Don't forget the hand cleaner
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Apprentice

Charles Nix is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Pan Gasket replacement

Great advise from everyone. The replacement went just a you all described it. Had to rotate the crank just a little once the engine was lifted for the pan to clear, and when I lowered it back down, it slipped right on to the motor mount bolts. Cleaning all the old gasket surfaces and the oil pick up took as much time as anything. All in all, it took a full Saturday to complete, but I had a blast doing it. thanks again for all the helpful advise.