This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

Once I get my charging situation resolved, I can see what my headlights really look like at night. If they're not bright enough, than it'll be time for an upgrade.

The night I drove the T-Bird home on the battery it felt like I had two candles illuminating the road ahead of me. Hopefully that's not the case when I have a 110 amp alternator hooked up.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road
Default Headman Headers?

Joe,

Starting another thread on your headers.

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 AM
Experienced

Jim,

I hear you just got out of back surgery today. Glad to hear you're doing fine. Wow, on the computer hours after surgery - you're a trooper!

hope you have a speedy recovery!

Marcelo
Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Experienced

I am well pleased with the outcome.

The rust in my rocker panel needed cleaned out.

Even though it is sore from the incision, my balance and numbness are 100% better.

Thanks for the Trooper comment. I think it is the one pain killer I took a little while ago. Didn't make me real sleepy just a bit (more) goofy

Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Experienced

Here are some pics of the alternator conversion kit I purchased from Concourse. This particular kit is not listed on their site or their catalog. The part number is: 1346-BB-CN-110. This kit has a 110 amp alternator versus the 60 amp unit that Concourse advertises on their website for squarebirds. Hopefully this bolts up as intended.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I am concerned about two things:

"This is a self-exciting alternator." I hope not. I hope it only produces power when the GEN light is connected and the key is on.

There is no mention of a fuse or proper size battery wire. If this alt puts out over 100-amps you need #2-AWG stranded copper wire, fused for 125-amps.

- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
KULTULZ

Cool

Simply put, one wires are meant for farm tractors, not automotive. Most are wary of a charging harness but it is not that daunting.

The MOTORCRAFT 3G upgrade is the truth or you can have your 1G upgraded fairly reasonably if you want to retain origionality.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I am concerned about two things:

"This is a self-exciting alternator." I hope not. I hope it only produces power when the GEN light is connected and the key is on.

There is no mention of a fuse or proper size battery wire. If this alt puts out over 100-amps you need #2-AWG stranded copper wire, fused for 125-amps.

- Dave
On the top of the instructions it mentions “65amp alternator”. I figured they just stuck the same installation instructions for all their conversion kits. Can I tell by looking at the case what kind of alternator this is? I thought a single wire alternator just had the one mounting stud that went to the battery. This one has another two wires (white and red) that plug into the back of the alternator. This setup cost me $30 more than the one concourse advertises on their site. I won’t be too happy if they sold me the same thing for more money!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYsquarebird58 View Post

On the top of the instructions it mentions “65amp alternator”. I figured they just stuck the same installation instructions for all their conversion kits.

Can I tell by looking at the case what kind of alternator this is?
On a OEM ALT, the amperage is stamped. On a rebuilt or aftermarket, this will not be true. You will have to measure amperage output with a multi-meter under load.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Experienced

Some local parts stores can check it.