This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM

ggb313 is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 430 w/ tri power

here is the engine compartment with the carbs covered by the massive Mercury Super Marauder air cleaner

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Default Is this a Thunderbird version air cleaner

I purchased this many moons ago and it was labeled (430).

I have only seen one like this and believe it is a Thunderbird version air cleaner for the 430 engine w' the '58 tri power installed.

My reasoning:

When installing the tri power unit into my 1960 Thunderbird, we could not get the clearance between the top of the air cleaners, whether it was the Mercury or Lincoln versions, and the underside of the Thunderbird hood.

We would have had to cut away that large, roundish flange under the hood - which we eventually did because I just loved the look of the huge wedge air cleaner.

The oval pictured below has a 3-stud mount - I think ALL others (for different cars and engines) had a two hole stud mount.

This fits under the hood without any metal modification and I have used it from time to time,

I think this is a Bill Stroppe or Holman and Moody piece for Thunderbird installation - can't verify it, but that's my take.

Hope someone knows more or we can find more info on this piece

It is now up for auction on EBay this week.

here is a picture of the "one of a kind" (sort of) oval

Old 03-15-2012, 04:11 AM
KULTULZ

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post

I saw this on Ebay and had to ask the experts. Is the story possible or a load of bull. Did NASCAR ever allow more than a four barrel carburetor on a 60 Thunderbird. Also I thought that Ford stopped using the Thunderbird after 1959 in lieu of the Starliner.
The engine shown is an FE. TRI-POWER was not released by FORD until 1961. What is seen may be an early EDELBROCK intake and they only accepted the small mounting pattern FORD or ROCHESTER 2V.

FORD did return to NASCAR in 1960 but with the SUNLINER (much lighter) and the 352FE-360HP. I believe HM ran BIRDS in 1960 but they would have been the 430.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:21 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggb313 View Post
I purchased this many moons ago and it was labeled (430).

I have only seen one like this and believe it is a Thunderbird version air cleaner for the 430 engine w' the '58 tri power installed.

My reasoning:

When installing the tri power unit into my 1960 Thunderbird, we could not get the clearance between the top of the air cleaners, whether it was the Mercury or Lincoln versions, and the underside of the Thunderbird hood.

We would have had to cut away that large, roundish flange under the hood - which we eventually did because I just loved the look of the huge wedge air cleaner.

The oval pictured below has a 3-stud mount - I think ALL others (for different cars and engines) had a two hole stud mount.

This fits under the hood without any metal modification and I have used it from time to time,

I think this is a Bill Stroppe or Holman and Moody piece for Thunderbird installation - can't verify it, but that's my take.

Hope someone knows more or we can find more info on this piece

It is now up for auction on EBay this week.

here is a picture of the "one of a kind" (sort of) oval

I think your reasoning is plausible. There is mention of kits made available (HM I would think) for BIRD owners but I have come across no definite info. When Bill Stroppe went to HM would be the date key.

Does the top plate fit the SM bottom plate correctly or do you think there was a special bottom plate also?

You are very knowledgeable concerning the SUPER MARAUDER 3 X 2 400HP option.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation ...sheesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Does the top plate fit the SM bottom plate correctly or do you think there was a special bottom plate also?

I see there was a special bottom plate as shown on your ad.

I'll be OK....
Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 PM

"You are very knowledgeable concerning the SUPER MARAUDER 3 X 2 400HP option." - you asked

pretty knowledgeable - I've had about 5 or 6 of them over the years and have about all the articles written about the 430 - as appropriate to Thunderbirds - have not delved deeply into the Lincoln stuff (if there is any out there)

pretty well versed on Stroppe, Moody and Holman - I actually spoke with Sr Holman years ago but he was quite old and not too forthcoming, so I let it slide rather than upsetting him