This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

I just places an order for a new gas tank from Rock Auto as well as a bunch of other parts. I've never ordered from them before but I gotta tell ya, there prices are very competitive.

This promotional code is good until 2/17: C7443AD625AA It'l get you 5% off your order. Once that one expires just google a new code. It looks like Rock Auto changes them regularly.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Experienced

I wanted to order a thermostat, but there are several choices and they range from 170-195 degrees. What temperature should I choose?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on getting this old bird started up.

Hi Marcelo, There are a number of threads discussing the benefits or drawbacks of different ranges of thermostats. Using the "Search" feature on our Forum in the black border, I did a search on "Thermostats" and came up with this one which I thought was a really good one on 160 vs 180 thermostats. The consensus is, to my understanding that a lot of our members are using 180 thermostats with no problems. Some think that 160 can be to low. Read through this link and I think it will help you.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...rmostat&page=2

In regards to Rock Auto, they are good people to do business with. They are one of the vendors who give discounts, and they are also a member of this Forum. As a Paid Member you can check out their posts under the Members Conference Forum.. You will also see special offers that are available to our Paid Membership there by our vendors or other Paid Members.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-15-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hi Marcelo, There are a number of threads discussing the benefits or drawbacks of different ranges of thermostats. Using the "Search" feature on our Forum in the black border, I did a search on "Thermostats" and came up with this one which I thought was a really good one on 160 vs 180 thermostats. The consensus is, to my understanding that a lot of our members are using 180 thermostats with no problems. Some think that 160 can be to low. Read through this link and I think it will help you.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...rmostat&page=2

In regards to Rock Auto, they are good people to do business with. They are one of the vendors who give discounts, and they are also a member of this Forum. As a Paid Member you can check out their posts under the Members Conference Forum.. You will also see special offers that are available to our Paid Membership there by our vendors or other Paid Members.
Ray, thanks for posting that thread. It looks like 180 degrees is the way to go for my application. I placed a big order with Rock Auto this morning so when that comes in I’ll have most of the parts needed to get the Thunderbird running.

For the most part, I’ve done my ordering online. I’ve ordered from Summit Racing, Rock Auto and Concourse parts. The last few bits like all the belts, hoses, rubber fuel lines, hose clamps, battery, thermostat and fluids I’ll pick up at the local auto parts store.

We’re getting close and I’m hoping for a warm dry weekend in the next few weeks.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

Yes, Rock Auto IS very competitive. When I did my front disc brake job on my 59 I got almost everything from them - thx to Mr Dare and the others who compiled the spreadsheet with comparative pricing.
My 59 had sat for 15 years and the tank was pretty rusted. I pulled it, cleaned it with acetone and gravel and it was still rusty. I've been using it as is, but once I put the new motor in I'm going to buy a new tank - don't want to risk running the dirty fuel through it.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Huh? Someone mention my name?
Hey, since we're all paid members, did you see my money saving post regarding brake lines in the Members Only Forum? If not, go over there and check it out. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Huh? Someone mention my name?
Hey, since we're all paid members, did you see my money saving post regarding brake lines in the Members Only Forum? If not, go over there and check it out. - Dave
I have to admit. Iíve never overhauled brakes before, but Iím getting excited about doing them on the Bird.

And thanks to Dave for talking me out of towing the bird to the mechanic and doing them myself. The money Iíll save there will be put to better use someplace else.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Experienced

I have a question regarding jacking. I want to get the T-Bird completely off the ground, but I want to do so in a safe way and in such a manner that I can leave the car safely on jack stands for an extended period of time. Typically on a frame-on car, I would jack up the car from the frame and place the jack stands on the frame just in front of the rear wheels and just behind the front wheels. Since this is a unibody car and my rocker panels are rusty, I donít think it would be a good idea to support the car from these areas.

I was thinking that my jacking procedure would go something like this:

1.) Slide the jack underneath the rear differential and raise the car
2.) Place jack strands underneath the axle tubes and lower the car.
3.) Slide the jack underneath the front cross member and raise the car
4.) Place jack stands where???
Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

There are pictures in the shop manual of were to place stands. I used the rear and a piece of 2 by 4 by 6 in front of the doors out at the edge. I got those big stands at harbor freight. Replaced all my brake lines with stainless steel. That's before Dave came up with this. Left there quiet awhile. Did every thing shoes springs exc. exc. exc. Stops like they did when new. Which ain't fantastic.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Bill, your Grandma sure did have fine taste in cars.

Regarding lifting, Bill is on the money; always refer to the Shop Manual. Even though this is a unibody car, it still uses a sub-frame system in the front and in the rear. That's what the suspension hangs from.

Lift your car OFF the suspension and put your jack stands under the frame rails in front and in the rear. If you think your rockers are too badly rusted to support the sub-frames, I wouldn't drive it before installing good steel in those rockers.

It's important to let your suspension hang, while jack stands support solid frame members. Before gettin under ANY car, give the raised body a good shake. It should feel rock-solid.

Now, what's this very ugly rumor about a MK2? I was going to write, Toyo.. Toy... Never mind, it's too upsetting. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca