This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I kind of figured the pedal set up out of a Fairlane, Galaxie, Ranchero, etc. would be the same thing. I had just signed up here on Squarebirds when I asked about a standard shift - Dakota Boy had a 3 on the tree originally and sold me his clutch assembly. I was VERY lucky to find it.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Super-Experienced

Just an update, I ended up getting the 4sp top loader and bellhousing in the picture from post #7. It included the engine plate. $900. The inside looks new.
Now I need to find linkage and a shifter - anyone know where I can find a decent used one? New ones are pricey.
Also, can I use the flywheel that I already have? It's an automatic. I know it's a dumb question, but I've never pulled an automatic. Most I've done is replace a clutch and pressure plate on a 69 dodge.

thx, Dave J
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

No, the flexplate used in an auto setup won't work for you. Do a little research before picking your flywheel, if you plan to spin it very fast I'd leave the old original parts alone and go with a new modern part. You'll also need a pilot bushing. Good luck, Bob C
Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Super-Experienced

Thx Bob, I found out by a "google" search. This car will be maybe 200-500 miles a year so I think I'll go with an original for now. I found a used one with a 90 day warranty for $110 - that includes shipping.
The new ones are pricey!

regards, Dave
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

David, here are your illustrations for the manual trans, clutch, and steering column shift. If you want a printable size, click on each picture and download them to your computer. Full size Fords and Thunderbirds use different brake pedal supports. Even the master cylinder holes have different centers.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Super-Experienced

Thx a ton Dave!
I haven't even looked in my manual yet, I'm guessing these pix are from it. The only parts I'm lacking are the Z bar through the clutch fork. I might try a couple of on-line junk yard suppliers such as "www.uneedapart.com" They are the guys that have the flywheel for $110. If I can't find one by the time I pull the engine and replace the heads and oil pump, then I'll most likely go with a cable kit.
I found a lot of good notes in my "How to build Ford FE Engines" book by Barry Rabotnik. I also found some good videos on youtube. I've never replaced heads, or even pulled a intake manifold, but I'm anxious to get moving on it. Should be fun. Hopefully the push rods and lifters are all in good shape.
thx again, Dave J