This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM

BillyBlaze is on a distinguished road
Default I have some questions

Hey guys, I am new on here.
I am thinking of buying this 1959 Tbird.
The interious looks original.
It's missing several shiny parts that I have noticed and needs some gaskets, new paint, and a little bit of rust removal being the cause of needing new paint.
It has a rebuilt 390ci ingine and rebuilt tranney both having 10K on them.http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bar/2805454361.html
I wanted to ask the experts if you think this is a good deal
He is asking around 10,500.

Any help would be appreciated as I am disabled and cant aford to be taken advantage of.

How hard it is to find all the missing trim pieces?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The price looks way too high considering how unoriginal it is. I wouldn't go by any appraisal. They're totally worthless in this economy. The seats are not original and aren't even the correct pattern. They should be horizontal pleats. I'm not sure why the engine compartment is black. It should match the body color. Most of the trim parts are being reproduced but they're not cheap. In this condition I wouldn't pay more than $5500-6500 if that. Just my two cents.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I'll agree with jopizz on this one - a bit too high.

Also noticed it has the A/C vent on the dash but no evaporator on the outer firewall - expensive to replace if you want A/C or would need one of the aftermarket kits ($1800 - $2000 for the aftermarket kit). Making the assumption it had A/C the power brake booster should be under the dash if it's still there - not one on the firewall so it may or may not have power brakes. Pretty heavy cars to stop without the power booster and 4 wheel drum brakes.

The gauges and heater controls are white (which came on the '60) but the steering center is black like the 58-59. May have a mix of cars here.

The rebuilt engine and trans are a plus if the seller has the receipts.

Eric
registry 5347
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5347
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM

BillyBlaze is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I was afraid of the fact that the car needs work and was concerned about whats under that paint....lol
Now I know its a hodge podge of parts I will steer clear of it. It's a shame I really like the style of these cars.
Some of you guys have some really nice old Birds!
I am a Miata guy, and belong to a forum for years and have learned from that, if you want to know about a car ask the experts, and I most certainly appreciate the help.
You guys have saved me from making a costly mistake
Old 01-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The good thing is that there are plenty of squarebirds around if you are serious about buying one. I would suggest that you contact members in your area and ask if they can go with you the next time you see one for sale. There are problem areas with these cars that an experienced squarebird person can help you identify so you can avoid a costly mistake.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I paid 8 for mine, and have about 16 in it now (my own labor is always free). Basically I got the car for the price of the paint and bodywork that was done on it.

Paint and bodywork is what will absolutely kill your pocketbook, unless you have the means to do it yourself.

My car is FAR from original, but then that doesnt really bother me.