This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:09 PM

grobb284 is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring schematic for AC for 1958 Thunderbird

Looking for a wiring schematic for the Air conditioning for a 1958 Thunderbird.

I have the 1958 Thunderbird shop manual, but don't see anything about the air conditioning in it.

A link to a web page, or send me a PM with an attachment of the schematic would be great.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring schematic for AC for 1958 Thunderbird

Check the Technical Resource Library (TRL). The wiring diagrams are in it. See if that does not give you what you are looking for. The link to the TRL is always part of my signature element. Check that out. If that does not do it for you, let us know.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

As I have a Select Aire in my ī58, I also missed that info in my Shop Manual. But I got a tips about a DVD with All 1958 Ford Air Conditioning on Ebay from "Paper-n-parts", so I bought one last year. Cost me 8.99 bucks + shipping. It is VERY GOOD. Shows pretty much everything about the ACīs!
Here is a link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Paper-n-Parts...3&_sid=1677698

Otherwise, perhaps contact Paper and Parts, PO Box 7031, Bryan, OH 43506.
I see you ( Gene ) already lives in Ohio, so itīs even local
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 01-23-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM

We are transfering the AC from a very nice southern parts car, to our recently repainted silver 1958 Thunderbird, which had no AC. The owner of the restored silver car was owned originally by his father.

Thank you for responding. I had not seen the correct information immediately, however a second look generated more information.

I found a generic drawing in the Ford Service Technician for the 1960 Thunderbird models.

Is the wiring integral with the underhood engine harness, or was this a simple seperate harness of a few wires?

The reason I'm asking, the harness is over 50 years old, and wondering if a new harness is available, or should I make one?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
As I have a Select Aire in my ī58, I also missed that info in my Shop Manual. But I got a tips about a DVD with All 1958 Ford Air Conditioning on Ebay from "Paper-n-parts", so I bought one last year. Cost me 8.99 bucks + shipping. It is VERY GOOD. Shows pretty much everything about the ACīs!
Here is a link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Paper-n-Parts...3&_sid=1677698

Otherwise, perhaps contact Paper and Parts, PO Box 7031, Bryan, OH 43506.
I see you ( Gene ) already lives in Ohio, so itīs even local
I had seen that manual in my search for information, and I had been debating whether to purchase it.

Thank you for informing me of its value. I just hit the BIN.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Will try to scan mine tomorrow and let Ray put it up here, so you can get it for free.
What I have is a DVD, and that one is scanned from the prints ( no official Ford product what so ever, explaining the low price ), so I have no problem with sharing it.
But if you have a Laptop in your garage, you might concider bying the DVD as itīs quite convenient to not mess with papers and stuff while wrenching. My normal "original" printed Shop Manual is looking less original for each time I use it...

Last edited by Anders : 01-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of adding A/C to my '60 Tbird that did not originally have air. One thing to keep in mind is many times the brake booster on non-A/C cars is under the hood and A/C cars have the booster under the dash. The evaporator box won't fit on the firewall without moving the brake booster or replacing it with the under dash style. A few other parts are different too but with a donar car that should make it much easier to add to the non-A/C car.

If you get a chance post some pics (particularly of the belt configuration - mine is giving me trouble in that area).

As it happens my Dad bought my Tbird new (without A/C) so we're in the same boat.

Good luck on the project!
Eric
registry 5347
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5347
Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobb284 View Post
We are transfering the AC from a very nice southern parts car, to our recently repainted silver 1958 Thunderbird, which had no AC. The owner of the restored silver car was owned originally by his father.

Thank you for responding. I had not seen the correct information immediately, however a second look generated more information.

I found a generic drawing in the Ford Service Technician for the 1960 Thunderbird models.

Is the wiring integral with the underhood engine harness, or was this a simple seperate harness of a few wires?

The reason I'm asking, the harness is over 50 years old, and wondering if a new harness is available, or should I make one?

Iīm not at all an expert on this, but perhaps this page can help you? http://www.tbirdranch.com/diagrams/60heatairdiag.gif

More: http://www.tbirdranch.com/diagrams/diagrams.html

I use to have another site regarding the electrics, but I just canīt find it

Last edited by Anders : 01-23-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

The engine feed harness for the 58 w/A/C is the same as the 59 w/A/C. The difference between the a/c and without engine harness is that the a/c harness has an additional wire to power the a/c clutch, two additional wires to the control box on the evaporator housing, and additional wires to the resistor at the bottom of the fan enclosure. If you need a source for this harness, send me a PM.
Carl