This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM

texasmark1 is on a distinguished road
Default shifter detent plate needed for 63 Merc

Son's first car, 63 Mercury Monterey, Breezeway rear window. has the usual slop in the column-mounted shifter.

Read about the replacement unit on the SB site and wondering if it will fit our car or if there is one out there that someone would recommend...

the Monterey is essentially a Galaxie, so anyone with a Gal who has replaced this piece... please let me know my options.

thanks,Mark and Daniel
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark,

Neat to see what you and Daniel are doing together.

Here is the link to some more info on the detent plate that may help to see if it will work for you.

http://www.squarebirds.org/detent_installation.htm

HTH

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM

hey G,

have seen you on the yblocksforever forum! our project is portrayed there with pics. Yes, I have looked at the install pics on the SB site; my question is whether or not that detent plate will fit our car...

any ideas about interchange-ability on this part??

Mark
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Experienced

Hi Mark,

I have been following your progress. Cool kid you have there.

Dunno if it will work but I'm sure someone here does or can give you some insight on what to do with it.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 AM

thanks Jim; yep, Daniel is quite the car-nut! His project is slow-going as he has many other irons in the fire, but when he fires that bad boy up, his eyes get that look, he takes it around the block a time or two and he's good for the rest of the day!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:56 PM

well, our problem appears to be a combinatiion of worn detent, missing "correct" pin that attaches the shift lever to the column and loose linkage from the tranny all the way back up...!

so... now we know what to attack!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Experienced

Mark,

Is that like a "rolled" pin that is driven in and out where it attaches and rocks back and forth.?

Adjusting the linkage should help quite a bit also. I doubt if it has been done lately.

Were you able to get a shop manual for the Monterey? I have always like that "Breezeway" back window.

You guyz keep at it.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM

yes, that's a good description of the pin... its the kind of thing that you never notice or even see until it gives out, or you need to replace. the original was probably removed when the previous owner "customized" the car by putting in Lincoln seats, Lincoln wheels and a floor shift with console of unknown origin... maybe it was Lincoln as well. Daniel wants it back to stock, so we're searching for original seats for a two door, original steel wheels and hubcaps, etc...
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default shifter detent plate needed for 63 Merc

Hi Mark,

We do not have a detent plate made specifically for the '63 Mercury Monterey. However... we do have detent plates for the 1960-1963 Thunderbirds, the Ford Falcon, '66-'77 Ford Bronco which also fits the 1970 F150/F250 trucks. I would suggest that you try the one for the 1963 Ford Falcon or the 1960-1963 Tbirds. Click on the Main Site HOME button above and it will take you to the Home page. There you will find information about ordering Detent Plates. You can do so through PayPal. Marianne, the sister of our Founder, Alexander Sosiak, handles our Detent Plate orders for us. If you don't have PayPal, I can give you her contact information where you could send a check or postal money order. If you order a detent plate and it does not match up with the one that you have in that Merc, ask her if you can return it and order the one for the 1961-1963 Tbirds. Maybe that will work. If you can take a picture of it and send it to me, I can send it to her and she can see if she has a Detent Plate that matches it. My email address is part of my signature. I hope this helps. If it does, I will ask Dave to modify the Detent Plate statement on the Home page that a certain Detent Plate also works on a '63 Merc!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 PM

just sent you an email about the part...