This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Experienced

59thunder is on a distinguished road
Default 1959 powersteering control valve

is this the correct part number for my 1959 352

B9A-33577-A

Thanks Tony
Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Tony, look at this site:
CLICK HERE
Ford manuals use (middle) five-digit code numbers in their illustrations, but I see nothing that matches your numbers:

- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've seen both the 33577 and the 3A730 part numbers used for the control valves. The B9A one should work fine for your '59. They changed the hose size in 1960.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
I've seen both the 33577 and the 3A730 part numbers used for the control valves. The B9A one should work fine for your '59. They changed the hose size in 1960.
Ford's part numbering system was in a state of change in the late '50s. To understand what was going on, the expansion of model lines (Ford, Ford Truck, T-bird, and the new-for-'60 Falcon, not to mention Lincoln and Mercury as well well as Edsel lines) meant parts number sequences were filling up, and with the growing complication of parts assemblies, an expansion digit was introduced to allow for ID of assemblies like the control valve. The first number of the Basic Group, in this case steering, was in the 3000-series. The first number was repeated to provide the expansion number, so that basic number 3577 now read 33577 to allow for addition of the control valve assembly to the numbering sequence. This didn't last long, though, as by 1960 the expansion digit was changed to a letter, and some times the basic number assignment was changed as well, such as in this case to 3A730.

If you have a copy of the '49-'59 "Blue Bible" you can read up on basic/expansion numbers in the front of the Text catalog.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Slow Typist

Alan, thanks for the numbering system insight. My issue is with the second number mentioned, 3357, which happens to be a bushing (not a valve).

Can you verify for us that the 33577 number is a good one for this application? I know that some vendors 'make up' their own Ford numbers for parts that didn't exist back then, but do now. I don't know that is the case here.

If you use the "CLICK HERE" I provided in my last post, scroll down to see picture #23. The part heading does not refer to any other section, B7AZ is for the '58, B9AZ fits the '59, and C0AA is for the '60 Thunderbird (and full size Fords). For this illustration, I combined both (Blue Book) catalog listings into one picture. The only valid 'root' number they both show is the 3A730 part number.

Thanks in advance for checking it out. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Experienced

Jimz Bird is on a distinguished road

This may be what he is referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1959-For...#ht_1817wt_698

Last pic in the ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 PS Valve.jpg (22.4 KB, 100 views)

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Slow Typist

Ok, is it for a truck, Lincoln, Mercury, Edsel? I don't have listings for those applications but I do have listings for Thunderbird and Ford Cars.

This part may be just fine for a 1959 (something), but the part number doesn't match my Ford Thunderbird Catalogs. If it is a good part number for a 1959 Thunderbird, I will add it to my books and spread the good news.

Alan?

- Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

I have a parts book that ends mid 1959. The part number used for 57/58 years A/S is B7A-33577-A. The basic part in the book is listed as 3-3357.
The 59 is a new part number B9AA-33577-B.

No listing of differences but assume there were changes from 58 to 59.

From what I know about these early part numbers the one in the box shown in the above pic should be perfect for your 59 352. According to the book this will be the same used on 430 cars.

Have Fun
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com