This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Chrome Hash Marks Placement

Mary ~ mvd011244 has been a member for about four years and owns a 1960 Convertible Tbird. She emailed me to say that she needs some help. Hopefully, those who have been down this road before will be able to tell her where to place those hash marks. Here is what she said.

"I want to put my rear quarter ornaments (hash marks) on my car, the previous owner filled all of the holes, and painted it. I have no idea where to correctly place them now. I do not know why he did that but he did. I also had to hunt the ornaments down. Thanks for any help you can give."

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

one ebay auction Finished last night with a set of hashmarks but sometimes they are on ebay for a reasonable price.
the link to the finished auction is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-...item27bd2d13ee

I know it doesn't do any good now but keep this seller in mind, he has a variety of Tbird parts for sale frequently for very reasonable prices. I bought from him several times and got more than I bargained for.

Anyway I understood that Mary already has the hash marks anyway.
If you remove the side panel inside the trunk than you can see the inside of the fender panel. Maybe you can still see the original holes. When people close of the holes to make them invisible from the outside they usually do not do the same on the inside and you might still be able to see where the holes where.
Otherwise I have to measure the location where my hash marks are put I need a reference point from where to where I have to measure. From the bumper to the hashmarks or from the top of the wing and from the rear? let me know.
But you should be able to see something from the inside.
regards,
Ron
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The hash marks have three different part numbers because of the different curve from front to back. I believe the holes are also spaced farther apart on the last three or four. Hopefully Mary has a complete set.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Default some measurements

Here is a picture with some measurements
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearChromeWithMeasurements.jpg (133.0 KB, 151 views)
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Hi Don! Thank you for posting that picture! I am going to "borrow" it and put it in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) so that if the question comes up again, they will find the answer there. Thank you for taking the time to research it and measure it all out for Mary. I will send her an email and tell her to check it out. With what you gave her, she certainly should be able to get those hash marks back on the car.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Experienced

1960_430_AU is on a distinguished road

On the hash marks at what point did they change from screws to the nut type?
My Golde has the screw type it's an early 60 and has the smooth roof trim. Did these two pieces go together?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008l.jpg (253.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 059l.jpg (206.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 AM

Richard asked when the change from screw on type rear chrome hash marks and the smooth chrome C-Pillar molding was made. According the the VTCI Official Factory Specifications (OFS) (don't have one? Get one!) the factory made the switch from screw on type rear chrome hash marks to speed nut fastened hash marks in mid-December 1959, early in the production run. The same thing applies to the smooth chrome C-Pillar molding to the ribbed version.

I also noticed that they changed from a single screw on the headlight door at the top with a V clip at the bottom to a two screw arrangement, top and bottom later in the production run. The OFS did not say when they made the switch, except to say that early 1960 production cars had the one screw/V clip arrangement.

Here are a couple of pix from the OFS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '60HashMarks-OFS.jpg (51.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg '60HeadlightDoors-OFS.jpg (38.2 KB, 137 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road

I have a complete set for a 60. You might get lucky and take out the interior side panels in the trunk. If they just bondo'd over the hole, you could back drill them...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 AM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 430 AU photos

From side view, see that you have chrome piece around tail lights going up rear of fin. Could you please post photos showing more of chrome around tail lights. My 60 is similar color and like to see more of how chrome would look.

If did it, would not chrome original pieces. Get slavaged parts for that.

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Bill,
Here is a rear picture of Richard's Thunderbird! Richard, I hope you do not mind me borrowing your pic
Richard D. Hord
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (82.0 KB, 131 views)
Registry #33436