This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:24 AM

BOOMERBIRD is on a distinguished road

Finding a good used engine for cheap would be good if i did not drive the bird much but i drive it every day. i put 36k on it over the past two yrs. theres been some great advice on here that is going to help me greatly. Im going to have to plan this out to where the car is up and running with in 3wks.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 AM

so did you pull your 390 and ship it to them to have the rebuild done or did you purchase a complete rebuild from them and now return yours as the core?

Thanks Boomer
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 AM

did you have the 390 rebuilt before R&R or did you just install the motor?

Thanks Boomer
Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 AM

as much as i would love to keep everything org to the car since everything is from bumper to bumper it sure makes sence to go with a 390. there's been many of you recommending the samething so i'm going to start the search for one. very nice rebuild and the step by step pics is very cool.

Boomer
Old 07-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road

I was not 100% sure you were talking to me but I think so...
My 390 was pulled from a 1961 bird and came with a Ford sidewinder intake manifold and an Edelbrock carb. The engine had very low miles on it, so I invested in a rebuild for the transmission. I found it on craigslist.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 AM

Thank you for the great advice and putting me in the right directiion. I do believe i may take you up on the offers. Ive got one more thing to knock out here this mth and then im going to move forward on putting a new engine into the bird. i drive her every day and enjoy upgrading her at every chance i can get. I do all the work now but doing a total rebuild myself is just not possible at this time. getting half of it done professionally to where i could finish up the rest would be perfect. i will be intouch.

Thank you,

Boomer
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Boomer, it would be real nice to swap a complete engine for your original, but that is an expensive luxury. FE engines are great because you can swap so many parts between them, and end up with what you want.

Shop for a good machine shop and shop for parts. If you need name brands, we can let you know what's good.

Get it in the right order... a machine shop will bore and hone your cylinders TO THE PISTONS. Not the other way around. New piston-to-cylinder tolerance is about .0005" which is why you need good, consistant size (within the set), pistons.

Three weeks is plenty of time to do this job. You can strip your engine in one day and drop the parts off at your machine shop.

If you do most of the work yourself, you can take your time and make sure everything is done right. If this is your first engine the job will take you a little longer, but so what? To hire someone else means he will rush the job because 'time is money'. If you buy a short block already done, you will not have control over the parts they used.

Plan ahead, buy books, and ask lots of questions. BE SURE to take hundreds of full-size, sharp & clear, digital pictures, from the time you start disassembly to the finished job. Mark all your parts and put them in boxes or plastic bags for easy id, later. 90% of this job is CLEANING PARTS, something you don't need to pay someone else to do. I do not throw anything away until a month after the job is done.

Here's pics of my Y-Block major overhaul. Although this is not an FE, most engines are very similar. Again, ask questions. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 PM

I do have alot of experience working on motors but have yet to do a complete R&R or rebuild. Ive relocated from CA to FL and all of my car buff friends and family are out there so im on my own. I would really like to purchase a 390 short block half way done and move everything over to that motor from my 352 thats. My bird still runs and drives but after 53 yrs its time to replace with a new motor. If i can get a 390 with heads ready to go too that would be great. ive only seen a few motors out there but nothing good yet. if you know of any places to shop for one please advise. i can pull the motor and reinstall my self and take my heads to the shop if i half too. i do have a shop manual too.

BOOMER
Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Have you tried here:

http://www.precisionengine.com/

I don't know anything about them but it might be worth a call. Looks like they have rebuilt 390's for $1195 and 390 crate engines for about $2500. They also have a rebuilt 352 for $1295. I would explain what you have and see what they say. Worth a call if you're set on a rebuilt engine and can't find a local shop.

You can also try Jasper engines. I'm pretty sure they have 390's in both long and short blocks.

Last edited by jopizz : 07-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.