This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Experienced

JBird is on a distinguished road
Default Evaporator Housing Identification

None of my books give me any into on the housing cover.

I was repairing evaporator enclosures when I noticed there are two types.

http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/photos/IM002580.JPG
Type one I removed from the firewall of my 1959 Thunderbird. It has the two screw holes on the right side that hold the inside air deflector and it doesn't have a notch in it like the other two. I'm thinking the type I have from my 59 was an early production model because my car was made in December 1958. I suspect the later modification was done to provide access to the dop bell housing bolt. The grinding in it is NOT a notch but was ground out to expose the underlying damage for repair.

http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/photos/IM002579.JPG

SIDE-BY-SIDE PHOTO
http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/photos/IM002581.JPG

http://www.rhyner.com/59jbird/photos/IM002578.JPG
Type two, I have one complete housing and

one spare cover and you can see the deflector holes are on the left with the notch added into both.

Can anyone tell me for sure which should be on my T-Bird with a 24M mfg. date on the door tag?

Thanks,
Old 04-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Evaporator Housing Identification

I know there are variations of color of the fiberglass from gray to brown to nearly black. From my observations the 1960's had black-ish evaporator housings while the 1958-59 were brown or grey. I was not aware of any variation of shape.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Experienced

>I know there are variations of color of the fiberglass from
>gray to brown to nearly black. From my observations the
>1960's had black-ish evaporator housings while the 1958-59
>were brown or grey. I was not aware of any variation of
>shape.
>
>Alexander
>1959 Hardtop
>1960 Golde Top

That's why I posted the photos. I never knew that either but the one off my 59 was not modified and I peeled off the insulation on the inside in the area where the notch is located on the other two covers. There is no indent in the inside case like the other two have and the holes are drilled on opposite sides to hold that little curved air deflector and there are no signs of any holes being filled.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Webmaster

I thought all the housings would need the deflector to insulate the evaporator bulb.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 04-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Experienced

All the covers have a deflector attached. It's just the one in the cover of my 59 was mounted 180 degrees from the other two covers and it also doesn't have the notch. Weird. I think I'm going to put the best cover I have on the car notch or not. I have a new evaporator and a 134A expansion valve. Here in California R12 is not the freon of choice. $$$.$$ /can NOS IF you can get it or someone to fill it which if I recall is a federal crime if you use R12.

I'm not sure if that EPA law applies to antique cars being restored to original specifications though. Ordering someone to modify a classic to meet EPA standards... well why stop with the freon. Why not order all antique cars that are being restored to have seat belts too and meet the new emissions (just joking because they never could with yesteryears technologies).

Do you know if using R12 in the older cars is even legal anymore?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Webmaster

If you have the R12, you can use it.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top