This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 AM

tharry8 is on a distinguished road
Default 1964 T-Bird Oil Pump Installation

Need some help. My son and I needed to replace the gasket on the oil pan (was leaking). To drop the pan you have to unbolt the oil pump. That was easy...

How do you reinstall the oil pump? The repair manual says to place pump in pan, and raise pan up and rest on the cross member (cross member is in way, so cannot lift pan straight up, that is why the oil pump had to be removed). Somehow we are supposed to install the pump drive shaft into the oil pump and into the distributor shaft hex opening. There is only a couple of inches (maybe 2) to manipulate it. There must be a technique for this.

The other thing I was thinking about is installing the pump without the shaft. Then I could remove the distributor and install the shaft from the top. Any thoughts on this?

Appreciate any help.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

Looks like you got the best answer already at another site. That's the way to do it. I use 6 small zip ties to locate the pan gasket so it doesn't fall off, just leave them loose and cut them after starting the pan bolts. I don't like dropping the shaft in from the top, if it goes wrong, you'll be sorry! have the front of the car high enough to work, and take your time, it's not that hard. Good luck, Bob C
Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Bob - Which answer is the best that you are referring to? Also, good idea on holding the gasket in place!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Experienced

redstangbob is on a distinguished road

http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.or...pic.php?t=5728

If the motor mounts are old and squished out, you might not get the pan up with the pump in place. Put all your parts in the pan and let it rest on the cross member. A glob of grease will hold the shaft in the distributor. Put the pick up on last if you have a tight squeeze, and I use silicone where the rear main cap and front cover parting lines are. Hope this helps, Bob C

Last edited by redstangbob : 02-27-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Thanks Bob. There is less than 2" between the pan and engine, so I think I will have to jack the engine up as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I took the pan off my 66 without takeing the pump off. Just jacked the motor up as high as it would go and turned the crank to get it to clear. it fell off
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Ummmmm! Before anyone raises their engine up.... Remember to raise the hood first!.... Don't do what one of the village idiots here did while working on my Tbird. His manager told him to open the hood before he started working on replacing my engine mounts. He forgot to, pushed up on the engine and drove the retaining rod that the bat wing nut screws onto to keep the air cleaner locked down, right into the center of my hood, dimpling it. They had to take the hood off and get it fixed, and HE lost his job...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Ray, was that the same idiot that caused an electrical fire under your dash? Or the guy who wiped out your constant voltage regulator (twice)?

I mean, c'mon... who would raise an engine with the hood closed??? Even if he didn't use an overhead crane, at least you get more light under the engine with the hood open.

You might want to disconnect your fuel line and radiator hoses before lifting. Watch your trans lines and fan, too.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

You might want to disconnect your fuel line and radiator hoses before lifting. Watch your trans lines and fan, too.
Yep, keep an eye on that bottom fan-blade as you lift the motor at the front

As the motor angle increases the bottom blade gets closer to the radiator.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

No, that was another of the village idiots who used to work there. That was also the business that the owners son ran Rose into the back of the manager's F-250 pickem up truck and destroyed her front end... I don't do business with them anymore....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm