Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeanCollins
    • Feb 25 2011

390 or 352

I got a 62 bird. The engine seemed okay cold. Drove it around. Now when it is hot it knocks. Wonderful. I almost cryed. It's the rod bearings. Job is 500 bucks. Im unable to spend that money right now. I have a friend who has a 352 that he had rebuilt about 3 years ago to put in a 50 ford coupe. It was too big so he got a 302 and the 352 has been in the garage. He said he would give it to me. Woo hoo.

Now it is an fe motor so the motor mounts should be the same. Rigt?!?! It is an fe so the transmission hook up should be the same. Right?!?!

Now, he has it hooked up to a c6 right now. I have a 62 cruse o matic.... Is there any difference here I should be aware of? Transmission used the same parts, bolts, etc?

Is there any reason I should not be able to do a simple swap of the 390 and 352?

Thanks for your input.

It should go right in but you'll have to use your flex plate and starter. Do you know what year the 352 is

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Welcome to Squarebirds, Sean. I understand your situation because I certainly remember being there, too. I see you have a dilmma; change bearings or swap engines.

I don't know your skill level or tool resources but if it were me, I would change my rod bearings while the engine is in the car. You won't need to pull the engine and you won't need to worry about transmission compatability.

I'm assuming a lot here:
      * Does the engine really need a major overhaul?
      * Is the crank alright?
      * Why did the bearings go bad?
      * Is your powertrain ok? etc.

The big question is, how clean is the engine you're going to use? Regardless of which engine, it needs to be gone through: Drop the pan, clean the oil pickup screen and tube, and oil pump. Pull the rocker covers off and clean it all before replacing the oil pan, etc.

The cheapest way, is to do everything at once (during a 'major rebuild'). Since money is tight, you might get away by replacing the oil pan gasket and the rod bearings. Since the trans and everything else is still intact, you can save both time and money by doing the bearings for under $100 and four hours of work.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• redstangbob
        Experienced
        • Feb 18 2011

Sean you have a couple of things going on that strike me. One is rod knocks don't get quiet just because they're cold. Did you have the pan down and inspect the bearings? That being said, you could have other damage that warrants pulling the engine, how far you dig into the original is up to you. Next thing is the yes, the 352 will fit right in. The FE block had some minor changes but because Ford would try to make things backwards compatible, you'll have no worries. Your old block (if original) only had 2 motor mount bolts on each side, the updated block has 4 so it fits. The later block (1963 >) has a hole for an alternator mount on the right side just under the head, yours didn't so upgrading to an alternator is easier. If you leave the cruise-o-matic just remember to to use the old flex plate, Ford went to a higher tooth count and changed started styles in 65. The FE rear bolt pattern is the same throughout. Ford had the block casting date just under the oil filter adapter, and the engine build date stamped just under the front-left-lower head bolt. You can get an idea of what you have in there now, and what you're putting in. Hope that helps, Bob C

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎