This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Apprentice

villain is on a distinguished road
Default My new j-code golde

There were a couple of delays in getting things squared away but she is now on the transport and in route to me...hopefully should be here tomorrow morning. I'll take a lot more pics and such once it's here, but figured I would share a few of the first pics I got of it.
I seriously can't wait to get this car...I am super excited and will be looking to you guys for help where I can get it. Supposedly it was fully restored in 2002 and there is documentation for the resto with the car, but I can safely say after seeing it in person that there is still a significant amount to do but i look forward to getting it fully up to par.

here is a vid that was shot while we were checking it out too (.mov file, so will require a quicktime browser plugin for non-mac users if you dont have it installed already)
http://www._dbonvillain.com/pics/tbird/1960%20tbird.mov

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-23-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Pictures were linked to a bad server
Old 02-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey David,
You done good!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Richard - she is registry #1560. Can't wait to see this truck pull up :-)
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Nice one. Looks like a nice restoration. Love those wire wheels. You'll have a great time cruising this summer.

Eric
registry 5347
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM

nemo is on a distinguished road

Is that very discrete red pin striping on the car? That looks great, Just a hint. I like it, great car!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

I see that David has posted the pix of his find! She is a beauty, for sure. Yes, those are red pinstripes that you see. Just a touch of them. I am sure he is going to be excited to see that truck pull up with her! I have been talking with David for weeks back and forth in email as we hunted for a good Tbird for him, and he found one! Not only is it a J Code Golde Top, but it is fully loaded, including AC and as you can see, dual spotlights. Those are the Unity HL-2 models as I recall, with the round mirrors in them. Congratulations, David!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Apprentice

So I got it home finally and put 25-30 miles on it right away. There are a variety of issues, but the first question I got (I have been swapping emails with Ray on the subject) is what the heck do you do for gas for the thing? I assume it wants leaded fuel? I probably already messed stuff up cause i put 12 gal or so of Premium Unleaded in it right away before cruising around a bit.
I expect to have to rebuild the engine anyway as I have little to no documentation about it's history, but still I don't want to mess anything up.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
And in addition to needing some interior fixing up and a full paint job that I assume will be a good 10-12k so far I need to address (should i cross-post on the technical forum?):
  • It only starts in Neutral (and neutral is a bit off of where it should be visually)
  • The wipers dont work
  • The turn signals dont work (and I hear or read somewhere you can mod it with the sequential ones across the 3 lights in the rear?) - also i dont think they are working in the front or the rear (not sure where the front signals are exactly...but i dont see them blink) so maybe that means it's the switch in the column?
  • The horn doesn't work
  • The radio doesn't work (although i just want it to look right/oem and be able to play an ipod really)
  • The clock doesn't work
  • both my driver and passenger side windows are cracked and will need to be replaced
  • I will definitely want to swap it to disc brakes (can you do all 4 corners? or just the front?)
  • I will want a new steering wheel - i hate the stuff currently wrapped on it and think the white underneath is chipped and cracked
  • There is some interior trim that should be replaced and the seat covers too probably based on a tear in the driver back side
  • It seemed to smoke a bit from the defrosters and from the passenger footwell/floorboard at first, but that seems to have gone away? not sure if that's normal or what it was even. There was some antifreeze it looked like on the passenger rubber floormat too when i first got it, but doesnt look like any more has dripped there or anything - but where would that even come from?
So first i want to have it gone through and make sure the engine is sorted and all the electrical stuff is addressed and hopefully get the brakes upgraded right away...and figure out how i need to fuel the thing :-)
Then I can worry about the cosmetic stuff and get it painted and all that.

I gotta say though, I really LOVE the car. It's night and day from anything else I have ever owned and it's a blast to cruise around in.
- 1960 Thunderbird J-code Golde (Registry #1560)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Apprentice

Oh - and look what came with it:

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-23-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Pictures were linked to a bad server
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

I moved this thread for David because he has a number of things that needs work done on his new Tbird and ya'll certainly should be able to help him. I figured it needed to be in the Golde Top Forum, since it is one, and a J Code to boot. Help away!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Apprentice

oh also - there is a little metal plate that rivets below the AC controls that has like AC instructions on it or something - they had it still on another '60 that was in the same dealer, but I couldn't seem to talk him out of taking it off that car.
anyone know a source for one of those? I don't see it in the catalogs I have acquired so far.