Originally Posted by gaffney1951
the motor or you will break the brush holder. the arm. end of the case has to come off first. I was able to repair it with epoxy.
As Dave said, clean well. If memory serves they have oilite bearings which are sorrounded by an absorbent pad which should be re-oiled, just don't get carried away and add a small dab of grease at the bearing on assembly. Just like a starter motor, I chuck up the arm. in a drill press or lathe and lightly clean the commutator with non metallic sand paper. The switches are probably more of an issue than the motors. I think there is a post I did on switch rehab in the tech section. Mike
I didn't know what this picture was until I was able to get ahold of a few dead units from "partsetal". They are different than on the 60s. That plastic brush holder had been eliminated...for obvious reasons. Also the commutator is at the exposed shaft end on the earlier ones. I needed the spring retaining washer on the opposing end which is also different but usable. The plate holding that spring washer on is a tri-hole vs a quad hole on the 60.
Stay tuned...I will start a thread on how to at least rebuild the 1960 one...Martin
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"