This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Apprentice

villain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post
Hey David,
Well I bought on off Ebay, sight unseen! She had some issues but I went and picked her up and drove her 400 miles The only problem I had was a power steering hose came loose! The seller did inform me everything she had wrong with her before I went and picked her up. And he was very straight forward with me!
Richard D. Hord
Cool. at least it's 'been done' :-)
I bought my last ride from a dealer in a hotel in Vegas and drove it back to CO...so I kinda like that style of roadtrip to get to know a new car. I am hoping I can find a driver like that and be able to put a thousand miles or so on her as my inaugural drive :-)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey David,
We had a ball bring Christine home! My wife and daughter-in-law rode in our Nissan and my son and I rode in the Thunderbird! We would be cruising down Interstate 75 and people would blow the horn, give thumbs up and had two passengers in other vehicles hanging out the window taking pictures. At one point my son asked can you drive backwards for a while my right arm is cooked (by the sun)! He also hit his thigh on the thigh buster twice (getting in the car) He asked what did Ford do make a windshield and build a car around it? We laughed till we cried!!!
Richard D. Hord

P.S. My daughter-in-law is from Portland. I may be able to contact her mom or step dad to see if they know someone that knows old cars and can see about taking a look at her!
Registry #33436

Last edited by Richard D. Hord : 01-24-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D. Hord View Post

P.S. My daughter-in-law is from Portland. I may be able to contact her mom or step dad to see if they know someone that knows old cars and can see about taking a look at her!
is he actually in Portland? I have a friend out there too, but doubt they have any insight into old cars like that. But yeah, if you know of anyone that would take a look, that would be awesome.
i can get out to portland pretty easily too I think, but honestly don't know much about what to look for
Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a 60

Hi David, If you can, I would make a trip to look over any car that you are considering buying off the internet. Like Richard, I bought sight unseen, but I had a lot of pictures to look at and talked with the owner several times before I bought my Tbird off of eBay. I also had a good mechanic friend of mine that I have known for decades make the trip with me. We drove my van there, loaded with his tools and a floor jack. He checked out the car and thought it was a good buy. So I paid the owner and my buddy drove it back. On the west side of Houston, the battery went out on us. I went to an Autozone store, got a loaner battery, and plunked it in the car and he drove the car back to Autozone. He worked on the generator set up, got it adjusted properly and drove the car back to San Antonio from Northern Mississippi without further problems. Later, we found the generator mounting bracket broken and being held on with a large nut and washer, along with some other things that the owner forgot to tell us about. If you have a good mechanic, take him with you if possible, to check out any car. That might save you from making a mistake on buying a particular car. Also, there are companies you can hire in various cities across the country to check out a car for you. You would have to google to find them, unless one of the guys know who they might be. The other alternative would be to find a member of this Forum who is willing to go check out a car for you. Good luck!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Experienced

1960_430_AU is on a distinguished road

Hi David
I've bought a few cars sight unseen as long as you can get a "feel" for the seller when talking to them and more detailed pics it does go well, but do expect that there are going to be things that need to be done.
Due to my location having a look at a car is sort of out of the question. Maybe a forum member may be close to have a look but then that's still not the same as seeing it yourself.
In regards to the white one in Oregon does appear pretty clean and with red leather interior in good condition. It's a non A/C car but then only a small percentage of J code SR's had A/C.
With only 377 J code SR's being built they are becoming harder to find in good condition so it's a pretty tall order to find one wit A/C if you do snap it quick, they are out there just have to be patient
This is one I bought recently to give you and idea of what is out there.
I do have a J code here for sale but then you'd have to ship back to the US from Australia

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 078l.jpg (313.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0867.jpg (49.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Hey David,
The owner sent me this web site with a little more detail about his '60 Golde Top Edition Thunderbird! http://www.northwestclassicautomall....id=5518&step=4
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain View Post
BTW - YellowRose - looks like your the admin? under the 'movies' section, you may want to put in "It Might Get Loud" - it was a documentary with 3 guitar players in it (Jimmy Page, Jack White and 'The Edge'), Jack White is driving a 60 squarebird in Tennessee when they are playing a raunchy version of the delta blues 'sitting on top of the world'...being that car was a bit before my time, that was the first time I had actually seen one :-)
Hi David,

Is this the scene that you mean?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj8f0w_SMnw

(Great anyway...)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Hey David,
Here's another on on Ebay! Item number #120677129955
Keep us posted!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbird View Post
Hi David,