X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

Production Numbers

While at the T-Bird Ted Auction this past weekend (see "Anything Goes"). Ted stated that there were only 52 430 Sun Roof cars produced with A/C. He claims this came from the Archives. I have never seen this figure and only knew that there were 377 SR's with the 430. I question the veracity of Ted's statement and wonder if any one here knows of such a figure.
    As a matter of fact, the 377 figure I believe was from Automotive Milestones with no sources given.
    Carl
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Everything I've ever read (since 1991) stated a higher number (like 377). Maybe they are guess-estimating only 52 survivors...?

-Jon in TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

Jon,
      The 52 was for the 430's WITH A/C
      Carl

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Production Numbers

The one person who can probably answer that question is Alan Tast. Hopefully, when he logs on again, he will see this and address this question.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• vernz
          Experienced
          • Jul 12 2008

Logic would seem to dictate that there would have been more that 52 made with a/c. Anybody ordering a 430 and sunroof would seem to be going for a loaded car which would include a/c. I'd love to hear that there were only 52 though since my 430 sunroof has a/c :>)

Vern

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Production Numbers

I have just passed this thread on to Alan Tast. He is probably the only man on the planet who can answer this question. He might have the information, or might not. Unfortunately, the data I received from Phil Skinner of Kelly Blue Book fame, and posted on this Forum, did not include a breakdown of how many '60 Tbirds of what type and what they had in them at time of manufacture.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
            Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
              Experienced
              • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by YellowRose
              I have just passed this thread on to Alan Tast. He is probably the only man on the planet who can answer this question. He might have the information, or might not. Unfortunately, the data I received from Phil Skinner of Kelly Blue Book fame, and posted on this Forum, did not include a breakdown of how many '60 Tbirds of what type and what they had in them at time of manufacture.
              52 out of 377 is around 14% of 430 SR production. For the entire production run in 1960, published information from trade journals of the period stated that 25% of the T-birds built were equipped with A/C, so I suspect that the quoted number may be low.

As with any other claim that attempts to establish a "low production/rare" number in order to inflate the asking price for a car, I have only one thing to say (and, yes, I'm intentionally "shouting" this), PROVIDE ME THE IRREFUTABLE FACTORY DOCUMENTATION AND SOURCES TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIM!!
              Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
              Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
              Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎