This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Ray,
I'm sorry, but these cars (except maybe for the Monte Carlo and the Cutlass) will never be classics! Each to there own, they are new cars and trucks that the owners have tons of money to blow on them. They have no value except to the owner! They need to try to restore a 50 year plus vehicle (or even 40 year plus) that is starting to show the ware and tare of use and time. Its not the same.
I had a friend in our local car club that had spent over $25,000 dollars on a Toyota 4x4. It was nice, very nice and immaculate. He got tired of it and sold it for book value. Now what did he gain, nothing! What you do to a new vehicle, more than likely no one else will not like it or they would have done something different!
Once again I'm sorry and I know I'm going to make someone mad. But if its not pre '80 its not worth spending all that money on!!!
This is my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of Squarebirds and or its members!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Texas Car Shows

Hi Richard,

Everyone has their own opinion about things and that is what makes the mop flop, the world turn, etc.. There certainly were cars there that I did not care for either. But to each their own! BTW, someone asked me how many cars were there. The director of the event told me they had some 300 cars. They also had drifting competitions going on all day long. Guys out there going through the turns, drifting and smoking their tires. I gather they had a sponsor to replace all the tires they burnt rubber off of! He told me that next year they are going to try to schedule this event for Spring, like March or April of so, or October perhaps. Good idea! They might get even better turnout.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Red face

I think I can understand now how you might have been "tossed" out of 1st place, Ray. With these types of cars there many of them would belong to a certain car club. The votes can easily be "swayed" at some of these car shows just for that 1 reason alone... Supporting their own, Even shows that get judged only by the "host car club" members feel pressure to reward other local & bigger car clubs by voting for their members cars- like a way of saying thanks for coming out to our event.

Sad but true.

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM

Default Texas Car Shows:

Hi Jon,

You might very well be right. Others who were there around me, in other classes also told me the same thing. They also mentioned that since I am a newbie at this, that I might have to "work my way up" in the rankings... If that is the case, so be it. I have done that before in other things and I can do it again. Sometimes you have to pay your dues, as the saying goes. I have not heard back from the judge yet about how the car was rated. I do hope she sends me the report so I can see what I need to work on yet. I will just keep working on her and see what happens. I hope to take her out to an evening event, "Friday Night Fever", but it is not a judged event. Just an opportunity to show off your car amongst a bunch of other people. It will give me a chance to meet more people who show their cars.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Ray, what you'll find out after awhile is that our cars don't suit all shows. From what I noticed was that it was an Open Car Show meaning whatever make & year. Where our cars feel at home is up against the same cars or cars of the same Era. As far as favoritism goes there's a lot of that.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Was at the Christian Cruisers Car Show near DFW wiyhth Yellowbird last night, biggest ever turnout they have had but sadly only two 'birds, a '59 and a '55. (I think!)

A real nice '69 Fairlane there- 428 & 4-speed, one family ownership - also a 427 '63 Galaxie.

I got the impression it would be tough going for an outsider to cruise in and pick up a top prize - if you know what I mean...

Last edited by scumdog : 08-22-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:26 PM

Default Texas Car Shows:

Hi Tom!

I forgot that you were going to be in the States this month! Are you going to be anywhere near San Antonio, on your trip? If so, please let me know! My phone number is in my signature element. I would be pleased to meet you and show you around my historical city! That goes for anyone else who will be visiting in this area, also!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hi Tom!

I forgot that you were going to be in the States this month! Are you going to be anywhere near San Antonio, on your trip? If so, please let me know! My phone number is in my signature element. I would be pleased to meet you and show you around my historical city! That goes for anyone else who will be visiting in this area, also!
Ray, I'd LOVE to get to see your 'bird 'in the flesh' but at the moment time and $$$ dictate otherwise, however the kindness of my hosts and all I have met in Texas means I will have to return here so then I will visit you then!.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Texas Car Shows:

Hi Tom,

I am sorry to hear that your plans do not include a trip to San Antonio this time. However, you have an open invitation on your next trip! I am glad you have experienced our famous Texas Friendly welcoming while here and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. When you get back and settled in, we would love to hear more about it.

"It's Hip To Be Square"