This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default 1960 edsel new guy here

Here are a couple of movie clips that Leonard send me taken while his buddy was driving his Edsel.

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg307/RATRODKING/1957%203100/car%20shows/?action=view&current=MOV02965.mp4

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg307/RATRODKING/1957%203100/car%20shows/?action=view&current=MOV02965.mp4#!oZZ62QQcurrentZ Zhttp%3A%2F%2Fs251.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg30 7%2FRATRODKING%2F1957%25203100%2Fcar%2520shows%2F% 3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DMOV02964.mp4%26

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Leonard, I wrote you a PM, but I forgot to add:
Before ordering your Scarebird brackets, make sure his brackets fit your spindles. Write him an email.

If you have self adjusters on your rear wheels, you won't need a residual valve.

Get a NEW proportioning/metering valve from OID. The metering portion ensures the rear brakes will come in first, then the fronts, then the proportioning function makes sure your rear wheels won't lock up before the fronts. These valves work every time you step on the pedal, not just in panic stops. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

If you have self adjusters on your rear wheels, you won't need a residual valve.
Where did you hear this? Self-adjusters over-ride the need for a rear residual valve?

Quote:
Get a NEW proportioning/metering valve from OID. The metering portion ensures the rear brakes will come in first, then the fronts, then the proportioning function makes sure your rear wheels won't lock up before the fronts. These valves work every time you step on the pedal, not just in panic stops. - Dave
...???...

So what you are describing is a combination valve? Front metering, pressure differential, proportioning and rear residual valve in one assembly?

Quote:
These valves work every time you step on the pedal, not just in panic stops.
...???... Why would you need a feature such as that along with a front metering valve?

I think you need to do a little research in brake valve theory. You are going to get someone hurt.

And if one is going to offer advice to another one should post for all to read(not PM) to see if the advice is correct and safe.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 AM

1960 Edsel 292 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the kind comments on my buddy's edsel sandboy and richard d hord.
and again, thanks for all the other help from simplyconnected and kultulz....

kultulz, the reason simplyconnected pm'd me with other info is because i first pm'd him. so maybe its my bad for doing that. i will try and keep it all open in the future.
my other buddy(who dont own the edsel) is the one who will actually be doing the install, and he is a mechanic by trade and does this type of work on a daily basis. he probably dont need all this info, but sometimes my OCD kicks in and i always like to have more than enough info and research before we start a project so we can look over notes and not have to wait on comments in posts if we run into trouble or a question.
i actually started a folder for this power brake install. LOL.

again, thanks to everyone who chimed in here with answers to my questions. this is a great site.

leonard
Old 08-22-2010, 08:00 AM
KULTULZ

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960 Edsel 292 View Post

kultulz,

the reason simplyconnected pm'd me with other info is because i first pm'd him. so maybe its my bad for doing that. i will try and keep it all open in the future.

leonard
Leonard,

You have the full right to PM a member directly concerning a subject. I am not a moderator or in any way connected to this board.

What my concern is (was) was the reference(s) to brake valving.

Which way you decide to go is also none of my business. I am just trying to get across that there is a lot of mis-information out there about brake retro-fits and many so called experts selling kits are not all that knowledgeable.

Simply put, whatever design you are finally going with, just study how it was plumbed OEM (and this includes aftermarket "kits") and you should be OK.

Sorry about that.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 PM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

-PREVIOUS POST DESCRIBING SCAREBIRDS MOUNTING BRACKETS- CLICK HERE--

Quote:
Originally Posted by tully View Post

I just finished adding scarebird disc brakes to my 59 Ranchero, all went well till I had to heat up the spacer in the kitchen oven, wife was mad over that... other wise It took 2 hours and a trip to the hardware store for some bolts.

The 14" rims rib so going to get a spacer tomorrow and see if that will work.

Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

Good goin', Dennis! I'd like to see your pictures, too.

Sounds like you are happy with your new disk brakes. How well do they work? Did you install a combination proportioning valve? Are you using a power assist booster?

It's true, I never heated my spacers. Just pounded them home with a pipe. They never left a mark.

If you have any questions about this setup, rattle my cage. - Dave
I am getting somewhat concerned here. Have to heat and beat them on? They do not come with hardened fasteners so one goes to HOME DEPOT and purchases cheap CHI-COM fasteners for automotive brakes?

I went to their site and it seems they recommend using a hodge-podge of random GM parts. What would you do if on a trip and some local had to find all of those differing parts to make a repair?

Do they claim 14" wheels will fit the conversion?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Leonard, you're doing just fine. This is an open forum but it is also a means to contact individual members.

General discussion is always encouraged and topics are widely debated. The more info passed to one another, the more we all benefit.

Personal (or Private) Messages are just that. You don't need to explain or apologize, any more than you would for a phone conversation. PM'ing is simply a way to speak with 'select' members for any reason you wish. You are certainly welcome to PM anyone anytime, and say whatever you wish. For the record, I PM'ed you because this topic has been discussed at length, here on squarebirds.org; now it is redundant.

Kultulz, I will continue the discussion regarding brakes to the 'Disk Brake Conversion' thread because that's where it belongs. We always have problems finding this kind of discussion later, if it is scattered over many threads. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM

1960 Edsel 292 is on a distinguished road

i personally thank kultulz and simplyconnected for your info and time in helping me with the power brake questions. i always gather all info i can, then go from there. you guys are great, as is everyone else who has chimed in.

my buddy ordered the scarebird brackets and will go with the booster and master from oldirishdave.

im thinking the 14 wheels are gonna be a problem. we will see when it all goes together, im guessing in a few months, after he gets all the parts together.... money is always a problem these days.

thanks again for all the help guys,

leonard
Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Experienced

ayrwoof
Talking 60 edsel conv

Ive seen two a black one and a red one and one in art markings salvage yard.. it was white.. good luck has anyone know how well first hand the
ceramic drum shoes work? oh nice ranger ..
Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Experienced

ayrwoof
Red face vaccuum booster pump??

Does anyone here know what manifold vaccuum a stock 352 has at idle?
and at idle in drive?? thank you guys this will help me alot?