This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Eric,
On Christine, center line of spindle is 12 3/4". From floor to top of wheel opening is 26 7/8" She is original, never had anything done to front suspension stock tires and rims!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 09-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Thanks for taking the measurements Richard. That's a real surprise to me - I had always read and heard that the Granada spindles lowered the Tbird but in this case it appears that my car is taller than your original. Wish I had measured mine before I started but was told it was only about a 3/4 inch difference so I didn't really care - just needed the discs to pull a trailer for my son's wheelchair.

I'm happy with my ride height - hopefully someone else doing a Granada conversion will take some before and after measurements.

Eric
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Eric,
I also hope someone else with a original Thunderbird will take some measurements so we can compare.
Now Christine has never had any front end work done on her, tires are properly inflated, but I know front end has allot of wear and age.
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

Is the spring sag also providing some variation in the measurements? The Tbird seems to sit high in the front, especially compared to Mustangs and Cougars.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road
Default Some Information from 2007 on Ride Height

In 2007 we took Ride Height measurements from inputs from as many members as we could get for the 59 and 60.

The measurements for the front were taken from the center of the hub cap (spindle center) to the bottom of the wheel well opening. This eliminated the tire size factor when measuring from the floor.

The measurements for the rear were taken from the center of the hub cap to the bottom of the wheel well opening (without the skirt).

From a search on "Ride Height" here is what we got -- hope it helps.

Front: 59-60

From what we got, 14" to 14.5" from the Center of Hub Cap to bottom of Wheel well lip should be close to the original front measurement.

Rear: 59-60

It looks like 7" to 7.5" from the Center of Hub Cap to top of skirt should be close to the original rear measurement with 6 leaf springs (standard equipment).

Optional factory heavy duty rear suspension with 7 leaf springs should be about 8" to 8.5"
Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 AM

BillMarkviii is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
No, in honesty, the factory evacuates the system, checks for leaks, then if ok it fills the brake system (all in one hook-up that takes 30 seconds).

I don't know how deep your vacuum goes. If it is anywhere near the factory's you won't need anyone's foot. They fill with the system closed-up.
On race cars we typically bench bleed, do the "normal" pump up and bleed each wheel until clear then we do a vacuum bleed to suck the last few bubbles out of the master.

If the pedal isn't rock hard, do it again.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Bill, an assembly plant is amazing to watch. They produce a car per minute (436 per 8-hr shift), so all operations must be FAST.

They have tank farms (with every liquid in huge silos) away from the plant, and a central vacuum system, with huge evacuation pumps (compressors) and accumulators. The line never stops, so all the equipment is duplicated for immediate changeover in case of failure.

Evacuate means just that. Air has no choice but to come out, and liquid has no choice but to fill perfectly, every time, without wasting a drop.

'Brakes' are only one system. At the same time the brakes are evacuated and filled, so is the air conditioning system the cooling system, windshield washer bottle, and gasoline. They're done in different stations, but in the same Final Area.

Filled brake and cooling systems NEVER have a void or 'bubble' because again, it is evacuated, then immediately filled (in sequence). Then, the line worker removes the fill hoses and installs the caps.

What about the thermostat and heater core shutoff? Evacuate means ALL air is removed simultaneously from the system, so those components never stop the vac. By the way, that's why the radiator hoses have that wire inside, so they don't tear under vacuum.

All the OEM's have done it this same way for over fifty years. If a evac/fill machine goes down or a car's brake system has a leak, the repair area has duplicate machines. That's three brake evacuate & fill machines, three A/C, etc., in each assembly plant. Equipment cost is peanuts compared to line down time.

How about tires? The tire room loads the correct five wheels, machines index and insert stems in each, mounts correct (directional) tires, inflates, and balances, FIVE per minute, every working minute. Tire semi's are dropping loads many times, all day-shift and afternoon-shift. 2,180 per 8-hr day shift, and another 2,180 for the afternoon shift.

M/C's always come 'dry' and are never bench bled at the plant. Every new car must be delivered with a perfect brake system.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca