This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Red face

My '60 430cid Bird has A/C. The coil is mounted to the AC compressor. So I can't help here I guess. My original vaccum advance was cut years back....

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

I'm with Carl on this. The pix is the same as Ray posted but I tried to make it a bit lighter with more contrast so that the detail is easier to see. This pix shows the vacuum line running across the top of the coil and then turning sideways across the front of the carb and then into the carb vaccum port. It looks like there may have been a housing of some kind, possibly two channel rubber tubing, with both the vaccum line and the fuel line running through it. Carl posted a pix a while ago showing the routing of the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter and then angling over toward the front of the carb, then sideways and then back to the carb fuel inlet. If you look closely at the pix, you will see the fuel line takes the route as described by Carl. The apparent "housing" is on the parts of the fuel line and vacuum line going parallel and sideways across the front of the carb. The pix on the right shows the vacuum line route in green and the fuel line route in red.

I also noted the routing of the inlet line to the fuel pump. I just put a new fuel pump inlet line on my car and I couldn't see a way to route it as shown in the pix due to the AC mounting bracket. I ended up with a line under the power steering pump coming up vertically to the fuel pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 430 Engine pix from shop Manual.jpg (62.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 430 Engine pix from shop Manual coloured.jpg (65.4 KB, 44 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Last edited by Howard Prout : 07-29-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Ford Man

orwin is on a distinguished road

Well this got interesting...

For now I'm voting for "over the coil" based on Howard's last post with the pics from the shop manual. If you look at the pics from my first post you'll notice what I would call a "service loop" in the line in a vertical plane in front of the carb. This is like the expansion loops they put in steam lines in a railyard. Note that something has to move when you adjust the distributor advance. Running the tube over the top gives everything more room to move, and the loop prevents stressing the line at the connection points.

It also seems from most of the pics of the '60 setup, that the coil terminals go to the rear. '59 may have been different.

John
Tbird Registry #1590
Old 07-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
I can confirm that "verticle loop".

My original line (that I cut), had a rather tall loop bent into it- That I am 100% certain.

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:19 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Vacuum advance line

Well Jon just confirmed what we saw. There IS or WAS a vertical loop or arch involved, as John showed. I think a good part of the problem with the routing of this line is, that over the years, so many people, previous owners, mechanics, have rerouted that line, cut it, modified it or pushed it one way or the other to get it out of the way while they worked on the car.

The problem is, in trying to get an authentic, original line made, is that Ford has not helped us by showing more than one way it was run, and with and without that arch! That one pic certainly does show an arched line under the air cleaner casing. I am supposing that it is the vacuum advance line and not something else!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 07-30-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

I think we have been trying to find a one answer fits all solution while pictures from Ford seem to suggest that there may have been at least two different configurations. It seems to me that the question is why and/or when did the change(s) occur. Could it have been by by model year? Or some other variable such as transmission, AC or not, etc.? Or maybe a mid-year change resulting from field reports? The "1890" photo came from the 1959 Thunderbird Shop Manual which would have been printed before the 1959 models were produced. Where did the "1869" photo come from? Does the lower number indicate an earlier picture? It seems we have more questions than answers.
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Last edited by Howard Prout : 07-30-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: editing
Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The loop is a dam for any liquid (gasoline OR water) that might enter the vacuum line. Water will rust, and gas will attack the the diaphragm.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 AM
KULTULZ

Correct. The loop is a vapor trap and a device to relieve tension when the distributor is moved for timing (an almost automatic procedure when replacing points).

The loop (430) appears correct at the air cleaner as I was looking through MERC 430 photos. As for the front relief on the air cleaner housing, both the 352 and 430 used the same cleaner and the 430 will set back a bit.

If anyone has an early MPC, the Basic PN on the line is 12226. This may help if it lists the Service PN for the line(s) (I would assume they would be somewhat different as to model year and whether AC).

Another consideration is that illustrations in a shop manual may or may not be accurate. It may show an earlier design that was not released for assembly or could possibly be an artist's conception. I have been burnt on those a few times.