X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

New Member Website

Hello all - Well, with Dave's (simplyconnected) help, I was able to start my Squarebirds website. This is only about 5% complete but if anyone wants to follow the details of my 1960 430 HT restoration, I'm on the members website or link to http://www.squarebirds.org/users/john_orwin/

I've been working on this all day - it's in the 90s here and too hot to work on the bird outside.
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

John, you have a beautiful Thunderbird. I want to see even more of it.

Periodically, I make it out to my sister's in Woodridge (just SW of 75th & Janes). When I do, I would love to see your car in person.

BTW, I put your name in our Member's Websites. (Go to the home page, there you will find the "Members Pages" button.)

I'm anxious to see more from your site. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New Member Website

I am very glad to see this happen. Orwin has a lot of information and pictures, I believe, of his restoration of his beautiful Tbird. We had talked about doing this and I see that Dave was able to get him set up to get started on this. We should all benefit from this now and in the future!

BTW, those old Paid Members who had working web pages might want to contact Dave to see if he can get them going for you again. We know that some of them have not been working since the previous server move some years back. Also, it seems that some of them might have been effected by the recent server move. Dave can work with you, and you newer Paid Members, if you want to set up your own web page on the server.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

Great start on your website John.

I really liked your ideal of that 430cid engine crate/stand. And the raven black 2-door '59 Galaxie Fairlane 500 didn't go un-noticed either!!

-Jon in TX.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

Engine removal

John,

Nice job of documenting the engine removal, glad Jon spoke up and caused me to re-visit. Please post here as you update and it'll be easy to follow along.

A couple things:
          The timing cover number B9ME-6059-D is the engineering number of the part, there is a Master Cross Reference book from the day that'll cross this number to the part.

On the Carb, B0 is the date code, Feb 1960, the remaining number is Carters number and should read 2992S, and yes that is the original Carter Carb and date coded in the correct time frame if your build date is from Feb on.

Can you post the dimensions of your wood engine stand as that could be useful to others.
          Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New Member Website

I moved this to the 430MEL Forum since this is a 430MEL rebuild. Great documentation on your Squarebirds member website on the Home page!

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• GTE427
              Super-Experienced
              • Oct 9 2007

vacuum advance line

John,

In your engine inspection section, I noticed a photo of an original steel vacuum advance line from dist to carb. Judging from photos in the shop manual, yours looks to be original with the correct routing.

Would you consider sending yours to either InLine tubing or Classic Lines as they can copy it --returning yours-- and add that line to their catalog. I spoke with them some time ago and it seemed pretty easy, mail in an original to copy, they record the measurements, return yours. I could check back with them if you're interested, and with the company of your choice.

Not sure what stage you are with the car or if it's convenient, thought I would ask as it would fill a void for myself and others. If this can be done, I'll purchase two in stainless.
              Ken
              1959 J Convertible
              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

No kidding, I'd love to have a correct replacement.

I cut my original back in 1992 when I added an "Autozone aftermarket" dist. vaccum advance.

What was I NOT thinking back then...?

-Jon in TX.
                sigpic
                The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

assembly date code

John,

Regarding the stamped numbers 4-0E10L on the left cylinder deck in front of the head, that's the 'complete engine assembly date code', reads Lima Plant, 05/10/60.

Kultulz provided info a few years ago when I found those numbers on mine. The info is for 1959 and it's believed that in 1960 the day code was the number, not an alpha letter representing a number. See the following:
                  The 430 engine was planned for the 1958 Thunderbird, but was only used in the 1959 and 1960 Thunderbirds. This forum is for the discussion of this Mercury - Edsel - Lincoln engine.

Also of interest, had you noticed your data plate and ROT differ on the date, 19E vs 18E, stuff happens.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by GTE427
                    ...Also of interest, had you noticed your data plate and ROT differ on the date, 19E vs 18E, stuff happens.
                    The ROT is much more accurate than the data plate.

At the assembly plant, the Scheduling Dept stamps all the data plates according to the orders from all the dealerships. The Body Shop puts these on bodies that are already started, so if they are making five hardtops and one convertible, they pull data plates out in that sequence, even though a convertible may have been ordered a week before a particular hardtop.

There are over 1,000 in-process cars in the plant. Each car take 2-1/2 shifts to complete from start to finish. (Much of this time is spent 'waiting', usually in the Paint Dept.) Depending on whether Ford works one or two shifts (or overtime), your car may be built in one, two, or three days.

The data plates, which may be stamped many days before the build, are never as accurate as the in-process ROT sheets. For example: Ford runs out of clear windshields... the line doesn't stop for such trivia. So, the ROT will call for in-stock parts. Ford always gives at least what the order calls for, or they will upgrade at no additional cost (to keep the line going). It's not unusual for an owner to find he has a limited slip differential or a Town & Country radio, when the data plate calls for a different axle or trim package.
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• orwin
                      1960 Tbird
                      • Jun 17 2008

Dave, Ken,

Thanks for the info. I did notice the discrepancy on the dates, but had no explanation. The info on the block # is really interesting, as it pretty well confirms that my car has the original engine. The more I tear into this bird, I'm finding how nice it really is. I wonder if anyone in this forum has more info on the history - note that Jim Dottling originally sold it to the previous owner in 1983. Is Jim or anyone still around that might have any records?

Regards,
                      John
                      John Orwin
                      1960 HT 430
                      VTCI #11290
                      Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New Member Website

Hi John, I checked a couple of places for the name of Jim Dottling. He is not a member here. Nor does his name show up in the Tbird Registry. However, the name certainly rings a bell with me. And now I know why! He is associated with the VTCI for many years and also Thunderbird Connections in Arizona! You can read about him here, and his contact information is also on the site. I need to add his company to our list of Thunderbird parts houses! BTW, I moved this thread because of its 430 content.

Ford authorized remanufacturer of Thunderbird | Fairlane | Falcon | Comet parts

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎