This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

I use 10W- 40W Exxon ( i know bad word ) and a fram filter.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:24 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Good choices!! The Mobil 1 is a synthetic filter, meaning it may filter out smaller particles.

Did you say you were pulling the pan off?? If so, then while it is off, thoroughly clean the pickup screen! See old posts about some of the potential disasters lurking there (mine being one). Better yet, think about a new oil pump.

The pan is a little challenging to remove. You have to unbolt the 2 engine mounts and then jack the motor (or lift) up a tad. You may have to also rotate the crank by hand to get the counterweights out of the way. But if the pickup screen is clogged, you have done yourself a great service. If not, you still have piece of mind.

John
Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with JohnG. A clogged pickup screen can ruin a perfectly good engine.

How old is your engine (in terms of miles)? Back in the day, many car owners used straight-weight, non-detergent, oil. Excessive engine heat usually makes sludge by breaking down the oil.

Your oil goes through the pump BEFORE the filter. If small metal particles are in the oil, the pump will embed them in the rotors. While you are cleaning your pan and pickup tube, pull the oil pump off and inspect the rotors inside. I think you will be amazed at how messed up it can be (and still work).

Macsautoparts.com sells just the parts that wear in a kit for $19.00.

For twenty bucks, your oil pressure will be restored to 'new' condition! That's a deal!

I have a theory about all oil filters. Never depend on ANY of them. The real filtration happens when you change your oil every 3,000 miles. Most of your oil never gets filtered. Yep, that's right... that paper element can't possibly filter even half the oil that gets pumped, especially when your oil is cold. Race engines have TWO filters plumbed in parallel.

European cars (like Fiat and VW) didn't have filters in the old days, they had screens. I was shocked to learn this. Then another shocking discovery... the pump has a pressure relief valve that dumps excess pressure back to the oil pan, and that oil never sees the filter, either.

So, have you ever heard of a disgruntled buyer who returned an oil filter saying, "I want a refund because this thing didn't do its job."? I haven't either.

Change your engine oil religiously at 3k, and the filtration will be a moot issue. Here's another shocker... rear end lube: It rarely EVER gets changed, and it usually has glitter-like flakes of metal floating around in it. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

Does anybody know if there is a rebuild kit for the 430 oil pump? I plan on dropping my pan to check/clean the pickup screen and never thought about rebuilding the oil pump whil in there.

Vern
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

first thing might be to look up part numbers and see if it is the same pump as the 352. That would be nice!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
first thing might be to look up part numbers and see if it is the same pump as the 352. That would be nice!

They are different animals. I also wonder if your 430cid pump has the vaccum pump still attached to it...?

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

55 chevy's didn't have filters ether. Might have been an option.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
55 chevy's didn't have filters ether. Might have been an option.

Okay, now I'm lost...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.