No announcement yet.

Radio antenna

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio antenna

I recently got a antenna from the swap meet. It's brand new, in the box. I was getting a very weak signal so I decided to get another. I took the old one out. I looked at it and it had rust in the antenna mask also the antenna cable end that went into the antenna had rust on it. I put the new antenna in and turned the radio on and the reception is about the same, what have I done wrong?

The first antenna I installed when I restored the car got broken when a repairman closed the hood on it. It has never been the same after that.

The new antenna came with a plastic cap on the end of the cable was I supposed to keep that on the cable as I attached it to the bottom of the antenna?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Rodney! Welcome to Squarebirds. I'm honored to answer your very first post.

You gave me a clue when you said, "It has never been the same after that."

There is an adjustment screw on the side of your radio. Since every antenna is a little different, this trim screw compensates for The difference.

There is a procedure you need to follow. If I remember right, you are to warm the radio for about twenty minutes, raise the antenna to its full extension, then tune in to a weak station at the high end of your dial (somewhere around 1300k~ to 16). Turn the volume down so you can just hear it, then slowly turn the adjustment screw either way until the signal comes in the strongest.

Let me know how it went. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Radio antenna

Hi Rodney, one of our members, bcomo, told me that when you change antenna's inside the antenna connection, there is a post that the antenna cable attaches/screws into. That post is supposed to have a rubber/plastic piece around it to keep the antenna from grounding out. If it is not there, it will. You might look up inside your antenna base and see what you see. I need to ask him about this again because I am changing out my antenna and need to get this fresh in my mind. I will let you know what he says.

That plastic cap on the end of your cable was probably there just to protect the cable end.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Radio

If I remove the bottom cover(under the radio) will I be able to find the screw to tune the radio?

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Radio antenna

The trimmer is on the bottom of the radio at the back right corner of it, looking from the front. It is below the antenna connector on the bottom panel of the radio. Turn your radio on, letting it warm up, and tune it to the lowest signal you can hear between 12 and 16 on the dial. Turn the volume control down until you can just barely hear that weakest signal. Turn the trimmer and see if it gets louder. If it does, keep turning it until it gets as loud as you can get it. If it starts getting weaker, reverse the turning and go back to where it is the loudest. Then turn up the volume and see whatcha got!

I am waiting for Bart to call me back about that radio antenna connection. If you were to look in the bottom of your antenna base, there is a male connection sticking out of the base from the antenna itself. IF I remember correctly, Bart said that shaft (about an inch long) has to have a piece of rubber slid over it or it will short out the signal. That is what I remember, but I need to get him to tell me about this again. I will let you know what he has to say.

Here are pix of the radio set up.
          Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Yes. Here are the Service Manual instructions for your '60 T-bird:
            Attached Files

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Figure 4 shows the radio on its side. Facing the radio, the trim pot is on the Right Hand side. It is the only adjustment on the radio chassis.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Radio antenna

Bart returned my call. He said that he cut off about a 1/8" length of rubber tubing, like from a length of windshield wiper vacuum tubing. Then he slid that all the way down over that male center post to its base, on the bottom of the antenna base. He said that keeps the antenna from grounding out once you hook up the antenna cable to the antenna. If you have your antenna off, and turn it upside down and look in the base you will see the metal male center piece. That is the one he is talking about.

He also said it is best to shut the hood while you are making adjustments to that trimmer. The hood can interfere with the adjustment of the weak signals. Let us know how you are doing!

Comment

custom sound radio

I forgot to mention that my radio is a custom sound replacement. Would it still have the tuning adjustment?

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Radio antenna

If the radio is not the original Squarebird radio it may not have a tuning adjustment. You might have to find the schematic for it and see if it does and where it is located at. Or contact the company you bought it from and ask them if it does and where it is located at.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Yes, all AM radios have an antenna adjustment. Depending on the age, it could be a mechanical trim pot (like the Ford radio), or it could be solid state. Some mechanical trim pots are inside the radio, under the cover plate. They may have a hole in the cover so you can insert a PLASTIC adjustment tool. Consult your radio literature. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Custom auto sound

I restored my car in 1996. I bought the radio at that time. I called the company today and spoke with a tech guy. He said that there was no outside adjustment for the radio. He said if it has a weak signal then the radio needs to be repaired. I tried everything, I used a ground wire on the small stud No improvement, I tightened the big nut under the base. No improvement. Then I loosened the cable going into the antenna. The radio played louder and the signal got better. It does not pick up all local stations the way it did, I guess the radio just isn't any good now. I thought it was the antenna. I guess I will have to accept it. The tape deck plays great.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                          Administrator
                          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by birdbrain
                          I recently got a antenna from the swap meet. It's brand new, in the box. I was getting a very weak signal so I decided to get another. I took the old one out. I looked at it and it had rust in the antenna mask also the antenna cable end that went into the antenna had rust on it. I put the new antenna in and turned the radio on and the reception is about the same, what have I done wrong?

The first antenna I installed when I restored the car got broken when a repairman closed the hood on it. It has never been the same after that.

The new antenna came with a plastic cap on the end of the cable was I supposed to keep that on the cable as I attached it to the bottom of the antenna?
                          Ray and I have tried to help, but you aren't up front with your info. Your first post says nothing about it being an aftermarket radio. We have given shop manual instructions including pictures for the Ford radio that came in your Thunderbird.

You obviously know the brand of radio because you called the company, but you wouldn't tell us the brand. Every statement I made is correct, based on the information you gave us. Truth is, none of your radio components are Ford parts.

Since you have an aftermarket radio and have spoke with the manufacturer regarding the reception problem, you should follow their instructions.

BTW, you said your cable had rust... Did you try a different cable with no rust?

If you decide to restore using an oem radio, we are here to help. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Most helpful, thanks

I want to thank you guy's for your help with my radio problem. It has been along time since I have done any work on my car. I had forgotten that I had a after market radio in my T bird. When I started reading your illistations it made me remember that I have a Autosound radio. The time between the completion of my project and now is so long that The company has even changed names.

You guy's are doing a great job with the website. I have checked in a couple of times over the years and see that you are keeping it up and doing a wonderful job. I am very glad that the 58-60 Squarebirds have such a support site because these cars are under rated. They are almost factory customs.

I am going to start driving my car more often and letting folks see how advanced this design was for the 60's thanks again and keep up the good work, Rodney

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎