This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Experienced

peeeot
Default RE: carburetor spacer

Yes, it mounts just like that. Does the stock coil just barely clear the edge of the air cleaner?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I can check it this weekend. I never noticed any interference.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 01-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Experienced

peeeot

I just removed my new coil and installed the original. As I had thought, it is still in the way of the air cleaner, and there is no way they will fit that I can see. Maybe the problem is with the air cleaner, which I bought off Ebay--is the A/C-equipped air cleaner shaped differently than the standard one? There is less than 1" of clearance between my cleaner and the coil bracket. It looks like the right part though.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Webmaster

The air-cleaners on the 1958-60 Thunderbirds were all the same. It did not matter if you had A/C or not or even if you had a 430 or 352. The 430 engine just had an extra preheater extension.

This is the stock air cleaner from underneath. Note the PCV spout is not stock. Note the front of the underside of the air cleaner is cut out to clear the distributor and coil. Also note that those are not my hands. :)

http://www.squarebirds.org/images_pc...ner_bottom.jpg

This the stock air cleaner from the top.

http://www.squarebirds.org/images_pc...ir_cleaner.jpg

If it does not look like this, it is not the stock air cleaner.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Experienced

peeeot

My air cleaner looks exactly like that in every respect--down to the little wingnut over the air inlet--except one: the cutaway on mine is much smaller and more subtle, and concentrated around the distributor only. I'm at a loss; I thought it must be from some other Ford of '58-'60 but I can't find a picture of any car with an air cleaner like this one except the Squarebirds.

I took some measurements, and the cutaway is 1.25" deep and 7.5" wide, and the center (deepest part) lines up pretty close to the letter T in "front" on the top of the cleaner. It looks like your cutaway is centered at the front and maybe twice as wide, plus it goes all the way through to the inner part that is higher up (flush with the hole for the carburetor). Mine doesn't do that. If I knew how to post a pic I'd just do that, since this sort of thing is hard to explain. Oh, one other thing to note is that my cleaner is black instead of white, but I don't know for sure whether it always was.

I guess I must either get a different cleaner or a 1960 A/C coil bracket.

Update: I've done some more research and have spotted Squarebird-match air cleaners on one lincoln and one mercury. What's really odd, though, is that I could clearly tell they both had the same cutaway as shown in your pictures. I cannot find one exactly like mine anywhere. I really want to know where it came from!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:01 AM
Webmaster

You need to upload your picture to the web to post it on the message board. You can e-mail me the picture at webmaster@squarebirds.org and I will post it. If you become a paid member of this site you get 20 megabytes of webspace and you can post pictures yourself.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 01-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Webmaster

I took a picture of the air cleaner installed on my 1959 with A/C. There is plenty of clearance for the coil with the air cleaner cutout, even if it were substantially longer.

http://www.squarebirds.org/images/aircleaner_coil.jpg

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 01-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Experienced

peeeot

Alex, I'm not sure whether you got my email with the pics of my air cleaner or not, but I believe I have identified where it came from: a 1960 Lincoln Continental. Take a look at the pics on these ebay auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-...QQcmdZViewItem

Mine even has the sticker on the side like that second one. And I don't see any evidence that it was originally painted a color other than black. Oh well, now I justhave to figure out what to do about it.