This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Grant - does your Tbird have A/C? Seems I remember all the replacement dash pads come for non A/C cars and need to be cut out for the vents.

Do those plastic dash caps need to be cut for A/C cars as well? Advantage I see of a dash cap is a protector for a new pad - put felt on the back to protect your pad and just lay it in place to keep the sun off the new pad - probably better to use a sun shade or cover but if you want folks to look in the car at a show a shade or cover may not be the best option.

(hopefylly Grant won't mind me hijacking his thread for a question but since this is about dash pads) Anyone know if the A/C vent can be installed from the front in a non A/C car or does the dash pad have to come out?

Grant - hope to get the new motor in before you are finished - will get to an alignment shop first thing for my Granada spindle specs - haven't forgotten!!

Eric
registry 5347
Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default A/C

Erick the hole is already in the metal dash. I think the dash pad has to come out to secure the plenum for the A/C but not the bezel. Maybe some one here as an A/C car and can comment. Eric if that motor you bought is not a 4 barrel motor let me know. I have a correct 60 4 barrell manifold that I would be happy to give you if you need it. We can meet in Laurenberg or somewhere. Grant
Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Apprentice

troubsullivan is on a distinguished road
Default dash fit

in continuing to try and improve my new 60 i found that my dash (i'm pretty sure by now it's a replacement, looks good though) wasn't fit in very well as there is quite a gap where the top of the dash meets the windshield. since i have my dash cluster out for wiring fixes i thougt i might try and tighten up the dash fit. the assembly manual isn't all that helpful, has anyone done this and can tell me roughly how tough it is, and roughly where the main bolt/scre locations are. do i have to remove my glove box liner? to get to the bolts that i assume are in that area too?
thanks!
pat
Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Grant - sure hope I can wiggle the vent in without taking the dash pad out but I bet you are correct. Hoping maybe it can be stuffed in through the lower opening after removing the radio or maybe through the glove box opening. Seems the jobs I tackle always require taking 90% of the car apart for just one little screw.

Very much appreciate the offer on the 4V manifold but lucked out and it already has one on it. We still need to plan a meet somewhere for lunch when we get finished.

Eric
registry 5347
Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default A/C vent

Eric lay the bezel over the plenum and see if there is a lip. By that I mean is the bezel maybe 1/4 of an inch larger then the plenum. If I remember correctly I think you may be able to cut the pat to fit the plenum through (the hole in the dash is large enough for the plenum to come in from the top) and then have the bezel cover the hole with the extra 1/4 inch. You might have to cut some of the pad out under the edge to make it look right. I look forward to us getting together. We just had "rims on the river" here in Wilmington and had several hundred cars..but no square birds...several baby birds and one bullet bird.