This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
... They are going to do the front bumper for $220...

WOW Ray, that's quite a deal! Does anybody know how much a front bumper weighs? I'd like to calculate UPS shipping costs to get my front bumper down there and back.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca58tbird View Post
WOW Ray, that's quite a deal! Does anybody know how much a front bumper weighs? I'd like to calculate UPS shipping costs to get my front bumper down there and back.
Why not look into shipping it via Greyhound, or something like that might be cheaper?

So Ray, do those that send you their chrome get the same kind of smoking deal?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Chrome Quote...

Some of the guys have shipped bumpers via Greyhound before with no problems, as I recall.

As for the question regarding the "smoking deal" I got, I need to ask my guys at SW Chrome about that and see what they say.. I will do that in the morning and get back with you..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As a followup to the chrome quote, they have changed their quote to me because I have been a good customer and have also brought them some additional out of country business. They also know that I will have more chroming needs in the future. They are going to do the front bumper for $220, and the three pieces of the rear bumper for $200 total, including fixing that dimple in the top right section. So for $420, they will do my front and rear bumpers... I figure I cannot beat that with a stick!
Hmmmmmm...............
I calculated a bit wrong as well. My 1430 was for each side = 2860 compare with your original 1040. And now 420.................
Iīm happy for you. I think....
Maybe I should go grey primer.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 02-22-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Default Chrome Quote

Here is what my guy at Southwest Chrome said about doing bumpers.. I got the figures a bit off.. $240 for the front bumper. $240 for the back three bumper pieces for a total of $480, plus shipping charges back to you. Something that might increase the cost is having to repair a bumper, take the dents out of it, etc.. He said their Dallas plant is outside of Dallas, east of it. So shipping by Greyhound is something they would not want to handle. UPS, FedEx, etc.. would do it. They would put your chromed bumper back in the box you sent it in and charge you to ship it back. That is something you should be easily able to figure, because it is probably going to cost you the same to ship it back to you as it did you to send it to them.

If anyone wants to take advantage of this, contact Florencio Pulido, of Southwest Chrome, Inc., here in San Antonio at 210-658-8087, or email at pulido19@hotmail.com They will probably have you ship it to their Dallas office, but he can tell you about all that. If you do this, tell him you are a friend of mine, from the Squarebirds Thunderbird Forum, so he will know who you are...

Of course, they can do about any chroming you need, so if you have other things, talk with him about that. Keep in mind that you might want to do what I and others have done when it comes to chroming pot metal. Buy spare parts, keep your originals, and have the spares chromed. If they bend, and pot metal can, at least your originals are still in good shape.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Did I get this right; There is a possibility for us to get the bumpers chromed for 480 + shipping?
If so, tell him he will have mine first thing after the summer!
It might be cheeper to buy from Ebay and send them directly to him, but that have to be calculated. Never the less, 480 + shipping sound like a dream.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Default Chrome Quote

Hi Anders, yes you got that right! You are probably also right about buying the bumpers off eBay or CraigsList and having them shipped to them for chroming. Otherwise, you are going to have a round trip shipping charge involved. I don't know what you would do with the old bumpers, but maybe you can sell them to someone else over there. Shipping is probably going to be quite costly because of the size and the weight though. You will have to figure that out. You will also have to figure out if by doing this, it is cost effective... I do not know what each of those pieces weigh by themselves. Maybe someone on here does!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Chrome Quote

I had the opportunity to talk with Florencio, who runs the San Antonio office of Southwest Chrome, while I was picking up some chrome pieces yesterday (and ogling that T-Rex!). He said that anyone who wants to ship in a set of bumpers can have them returned to them wrapped well for protection (of course) and in a wooden crate. He said there are wooden crates these bumpers will fit in. They can get them, and ship them that way, if the owner desires, as part of the shipping expenses. The weight of the wooden crate is going to add to the shipping expense, of course, but if one is being charged $1,500 or more to chrome a set of bumpers overseas, you are still probably going to save a good chunk of change. Like me, for those overseas, he thinks buying a set here in the US for chroming and having that set shipped to them for chroming, makes sense. That way you only have a US shipping charge to them to pay, and not a round trip shipping charge from overseas.

I still do not know what the front and back bumpers weigh. I just solved half that problem! I took my spare right top rear bumper section out of its box and weighed it! It weighs 9lbs, which means the left side must also weigh 9lbs. So now we need to find out what the bottom rear section weighs. My guess would be about 25-30lbs. The front bumper is another matter. Anyone ever weigh the front bumper and the lower rear bumper piece?

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Anders, yes you got that right! You are probably also right about buying the bumpers off eBay or CraigsList and having them shipped to them for chroming. Otherwise, you are going to have a round trip shipping charge involved. I don't know what you would do with the old bumpers, but maybe you can sell them to someone else over there. Shipping is probably going to be quite costly because of the size and the weight though. You will have to figure that out. You will also have to figure out if by doing this, it is cost effective... I do not know what each of those pieces weigh by themselves. Maybe someone on here does!
Never the less, this is indeed the best news since I bought the car Letīs continue this after the summer, and please tell your friend THANKS!