This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: power steering

The non-power steering linkage was different than the power steering linkage. The unique pieces were painted gray from the factory. The manual steering idler arm had grease fittings unlike the power steering one which just uses rubber busings.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 07-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Super-Experienced

tarps3 is on a distinguished road

I think this will be my final entry to for this subject.
Thanks to all who replied and helped with this thing.
I just got the 'ol girl back and other than the reservoir lid leaking fluid due to overfilling, I think my power steering problem is solved. So, $600 in parts and labor later, I am back in business! Sheesh!
thanks again to all who responded with advice - especially Alexander.
Casey
Old 07-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Super-Experienced

Well, so much for wishful thinking. Nothin's easy.
I STILL have a leak around the reservoir lid. It seems to build up a LOT of pressure and blow fluid out of the top when it gets hot. Now, someone told me that there is a little hole near the larger hole where the threaded stud goes thru the lid. I've heard that this is a vent hole to relieve pressure. The latest seal kit I installed had a rubber grommet that went down over the threaded stud and plugged up that large hole in the lid (along with the vent hole it would seem). In addition, there is a rubber backed washer under the wing nut on the lid. Between the rubber washer and the rubber plug in the hole, I don't see how that little pin hole is able to vent the reservoir. Should I leave the rubber plug out? Does that little pin hole allow the reservoir to vent? If so, how does it do that with the rubber washer in place above it?
HELP me before I drive this car into the ditch!
Caseyx( x(
Old 07-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Webmaster

There should not be any pressure in the resevoir. It should be filled to 1/4 inch from the top. There is a washer over that small vent you talk about.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-04-2003, 10:41 PM
Webmaster

I have thinking about this problem. You replaced the control valve and yet you still have the problem with the power steering pump. I am fairly certain that the problem is that the power steering pump was not properly rebuilt. The relief valve is probably sticking in the power steering pump causing the backup of fluid into the resevoir. Open up the heaxagonal relief plug retainer and see if the parts are put in properly in there and see if the power steering pump valve slides out easily without binding.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
Old 09-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Super-Experienced

Relief valve seems okay. I tried yet another pump and experienced the same problems. I am going to re-seal the ram cylider again and see if that helps. Tried to get a re-built/repo ram cylinder, but after waiting for it several days, it was incorrect for my car. The power steering lines connected to the opposite end. Anyone have a source for another one of these if I need one? It's the only thing left; everything else has been replaced. This is going to drive me into the mental hospital before it's over!

The great "power steering saga of 2003" continues . .

Casey
60 hardtop}>
Old 09-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Webmaster

Sorry to hear of your continuing saga.

Bob's Bird House ( http://www.bobsbirdhouse.com/ ) has rebuilt rams and control valves for sure.

You can also call Bob before you buy and ask him if he has ever heard of the type of problem you are experiencing.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top