This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Examine this diag:

This print is so tiny, I can't read the small print. Download the three pictures below by RIGHT CLICKing on them and choose "Save Target As..." then print the three pages and paste them together:

http://home.comcast.net/~simplyconne...cWindowsLH.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~simplyconne...WindowsMID.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~simplyconne...cWindowsRH.jpg

Normally, we troubleshoot from the motor, back. Look at the RH Front window motor. All four are the same. The circle with wires on top (green) and bottom (black) is the motor armature. The two coils on each side are Field Coils (red and yellow wires - for direction). Those arrows are push-in connectors.

To answer your question, find the circuit breaker by following the BLACK motor wire. The breaker is close to the motor. Now, let's troubleshoot:

Using VOLTS DC on your meter, clip one prod on GROUND, and keep it there for the whole test. Push your window button in one direction and hold it down forever while you test:

Test for voltage on either the RED or YELLOW motor wires. If you get +12 volts on either one, your wire coming from your IGNITION SWITCH BREAKER is good. If you don't find voltage, trace the wires back to the
RELAY, --> WINDOW SWITCH, --> then where all door switch wires come together.

On most Fords, there are two breakers in the engine compartment in the center of the firewall. The one we are dealing with is fed from the ignition switch.

The 40-amp circuit breaker is fed from the starter relay, and feeds the relays inside the doors, for armature power to all your window motors. If the Field test was good, try your prod on the motor's GREEN wire. If you get +12, your window should work. If you don't get power, go back to the relay contact (also in the door). If no power, go to the 40-amp circuit breaker on the firewall and check both sides. If no power, follow the wire back to your starter realy; it should be connected to the BATTERY side as indicated.

If you study the push-in connectors, you can just about tell where things are located because of where the wires disconnect. In your case, you don't have a Fordor, but the wires will still be similar.

I hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 AM

Itsadriver is on a distinguished road

The circuit breakers on the 1958 through 1963 are under the windows on the floor for the rear windows and under the kick panels for the front windows. The volt meter won't be reliable as some time it passes voltage through the circuit breaker giving you confusing info.But the circuit breaker won't allow enough curent flow to operate the windows.Try jumpering across the circuit breakers first this was the case even with my friends 1960 convertible and mine was the main cicuit breaker attatched to the starter solenoid.
The device attached to the firewall in the engine bay is a relay for the power windows not a circuit breaker.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM

nm63tbird is on a distinguished road
Smile '63 Rear Window Circuit Breakers

Thank you for you feedback to my question posted on the rear power window circuit breakers for my 1963 TBird. I
have read all previous postings and your suggestions, but I still have not found those circuit breakers. I examined the wiring diagrams, but the circuit breakers are not on the floor, in-line, or on/near the rear window motors. This is where I'm at:
  1. I replaced all the front and rear window switches
  2. Both front power windows work, therefore the circuit breakers under the hood and for these window are functional
  3. The rear window motors work when I connect direct current from the battery
  4. Therefore problem has to be the rear power window circuit breakers. The wiring looks fine.
  5. I cannot find the rear power window ciurcuit breakers. They are not on/near the motors, on the floor, or inline from the windows to the floor hump.
  6. There are 4 circuit breakers on the fuse panel. I don't know what they are for. I jumped all of them individually and the rear power windows did not work.
I ask again if anyone on this forum knows exactly where the rear power windows circuit breakers for a 1963 TBird are located. I don't want to remove the center console to follow the wiring looking for the breakers, if I don't have to. Either the circuit breakers were not installed in my car, or they are located somewhere else not described or listed in manuals and diagrams. Thanks for you any help you can provide on this problem.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default electric window problem

It appears, according to the Tbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966 that the circuit breakers for the power windows are inside the window motors.. If I read this correctly. Here is Page 111 out of the book and what it has to say... "A new integral circuit breaker IN EACH MOTOR.... Here is the text..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File0078.jpg (139.8 KB, 77 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-08-2009, 04:34 PM

nm63tbird is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Power Windows

Thanks Yellow Rose:

Now I'm baffled! I tested each rear window motor with direct current from the battery and both work. If they have integrated circuit breakers, then the breakers are functional. I'm not sure what to check next to get the rear windows to work. I'll check the wiring from the center console switches to the rear switches. The switches are new. Any suggestions on what the problem is for the rear power windows not responding to their front and rear switches?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Here's a diagram for the system that uses Series-Wound Motors:

Here is a bigger download.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca