This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Experienced

57ford/60thunderbird is on a distinguished road

well i bought some penetrating oil and doused the top half of the pitons twice today and the lifters and cam bearing jornals (they were stuck also) i got the cam and lifters out of it alittle bit ago so thats a plus hopefully the pistons will come out as easy

and hawkrod , LOL i thought i was feelin a draft but i seriously hope its a 429 and not a 460
69 roadrunner
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Just curious, why would you want it to be a 429 rather than a 460? Most guys who build these swap out the 429 right away. There is no substitute for cubic inches! LOL BTW, I have several 68 and 69 Lincoln 460's available if you are in the Auburn CA area and none of them look nearly as bad as the one you have. Hawkrod
Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Experienced

well i like to be just alittle different and i think saying my car has a 429 (alittle shock value) in it sounds better then saying 460 i allways think of a truck engine when i hear 460 and i havent heard alot of good things about 460's ummmm im only about 1300 or so miles from cali im in ohio
69 roadrunner
Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

I guess if I had looked up and read the area above the post I would have seen where you were from! LOL Personally I think of Lincoln when I think 460 but you could always say " I have a stroked 429"! Hawkrod
Old 05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Experienced

ok i just got all the pistons knocked out of it they all came out in one piece (surprisingly)

a few of the rods/wrist pins are stuck but no big deal it didnt take a half hour to get them out

the crank spins freely and ive looked all over the crank and cant see a part number on it where would it be?

all the pistons have 429 cast into them near the wristpin hole
69 roadrunner
Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Apprentice

Colo66 is on a distinguished road

You will be looking for "4U" cast into a crankshaft counter weight. I dont remember if 429 would be cast into the pistons but would stand to reason since they are different than the 460. Back in mid 80's I had a dirt track, claimer stocker class race car. It was in a 76 cougar xr7. Everyone else were running 350/monte carlos. I took quite a ribbing with that "boat" but after the 3 race, I was whippin em pretty good! They could get me on the turns but the straights, that 429 would pull hard! made for some excitin finishes. Man, that was fun! I wished I had that car back now. 429 sounds better than 460 too!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

My F100 has a 429 cos that's all I could buy in NZ way back then.

Great motor and revs freely and not TOO hard on gas. (18mpg in Imperial gallons)